Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone considered convertering those small vent windows from maual to power? would be nice to open and close them at will without having to open the hatch glass. My girls mercury villager van has those in the rear. i figured if i could find the whole wiring setup and all from it and give it a shot. has anyone thought about it or tried it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Someone did it using 80's malibu power vent controls.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Several people (myself included) have picked up parts from the junkyard and tried various things, but so far no one has created a reproducible mod. Feel free to toss your hat in the ring.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
"Pat" has successfully done that on his Buick Estate Wagon. I believe he did use parts from a Malibu.

Tom C.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The info was here prior to the great crash :(

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Pat did it to his RMW, used parts from an 80's malibu.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Let's get some pics and info. I only remember seeing something half done and not really practical and not a reproducible mod. [I am always happy to be wrong on things like this.]

·
Registered
511 Posts
I got doubts about finding 80 Malibu parts kicking around.

I believe someone has also used Dodge Caravan motors for the swap as well. There's a gazillion of those in junk yards.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I got doubts about finding 80 Malibu parts kicking around.

I believe someone has also used Dodge Caravan motors for the swap as well. There's a gazillion of those in junk yards.
The caravan motors are a great idea, but they have one downfall. There is no place to put them in our D pillars. Pat's have a 3' (or so) umbilical cord so the motor can go down behind the tail lights.

It is a great option, but a lot of work finding the parts to do it........

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I bought Caravan motors from the junk yard years ago and they don't work.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
It was done, as everybody already stated, with Malibu parts. There is also video of it. It was really cool, even though it was just a little vent window opening and closing 4-5 inches!!

Sean

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I used rear power vent motors from a 1978 Malibu 4 door sedan, these motors are rare since few 78-80 malibu sedans were ordred with power windows. it's also the same motor used in 78-80 Lemans and grand am four doors. the 81-83 four door malibu did not have these motors since the rear vent windows were moved from the "C" pilar to the rear door glass.

this is what they look like

this is the portion of the unit that attatches to the vent window and the "D" pilar

this is it installed on the vent glass and pilar

the vent window motor is then mounted out of the way tucked up under the quater window

this is how it all looks from inside with the trim back on, not much to see really

and a small video

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/...admaster project/?action=view&current=2-2.mp4

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so i am convinced i want to do this, just tracking down the parts and messing with the wiring is gonna be a pain.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
You can use lincoln towncar window motors as they are cable driven too.......... should be a lot easier to find in the junk yards

I have a pic of one

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
The Ford window motors rely on extreme tension on the cable. You probably can not duplicate the tension necessary to get the cable to feed around the spool. You need something that has a rack and pinion or worm drive, and flexible shaft to move the window.

·
Registered
524 Posts
i have been looking for 2 yrs and i go to jy alot and cant find them. must be rare option

1 - 20 of 30 Posts