Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a set of used SS springs, and I am not quite sure of the installation orientation. The rear springs have coils that are "tighter" on one end, and I am not sure whether that is top or bottom. From what I've seen, the springs are usually the same from top to bottom. Also, how do I know what way to install the front springs? I'll attach a photo of the fronts for reference.

And just to clarify, these are going on a 96 Fleetwood

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If one end is tighter, they are not stock springs. Regardless, the tighter coils go up. This results in less unsprung weight (axle/control arm end), albeit not much. Some here will say the opposite. But if you look at other applications where the ends are not the same size, like my mustang rear springs, they put the tighter winding at the top.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If one end is tighter, they are not stock springs. Regardless, the tighter coils go up. This results in less unsprung weight (axle/control arm end), albeit not much. Some here will say the opposite. But if you look at other applications where the ends are not the same size, like my mustang rear springs, they put the tighter winding at the top.
In that case I'll be sure to put the tighter windings at the top. I'm actually in the garage right now, I'm about to install them, I'll attach a picture. If they aren't stock Springs can I assume that they're another brand of lowering spring?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Some of the other guys here may be able to tell what brand they are by color or any part numbers on them.

Fyi - Being tighter on one end makes the variable/progressive springs. A number of aftermarket springs are like that.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts

And just to clarify, these are going on a 96 Fleetwood
Oh yah. You're gonna have fun. with some real lower arms, bars and shocks and you're gonna have real fun.

Get the tranny pressures increased when you remove the speed limiter too.

both brake bolt mods too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yah. You're gonna have fun. with some real lower arms, bars and shocks and you're gonna have real fun.

Get the tranny pressures increased when you remove the speed limiter too.

both brake bolt mods too.
I'll have to look into those mods. I had the transmission rebuilt last year and they put in a shift kit that chirps going into second gear if I get on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, btw, I threw in the rear springs and it didn't seem to lower the ass at all, but it is definitely stiffer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts