Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a coolant bypass kit from BMR Fabrication ($15) to bypass the coolant line that goes through the bottom of the Throttle Body. It is built into the throttle body to keep it warm in subzero temperatures. The claim is you pick up 5hp by bypassing the coolant line.

I get everything removed & find out that the outlet line from the throttle body that goes across the front of the engine into the coolant reservoir is long enough to reach the feeder line that goes into the throttle body, so I need to pack up their kit which they sold me & promptly send it back.

I guess I should have posted a question on the forum concerning this, but my buddy did this to his 2000 Trans Am, it sounded like a good idea. I just have to go through the hastle of sending the kit back & hoping they will return my money.

Hope someone gains some wisdom from my dumb mistake.

Stretch

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, this is a subject that I have a question on. Does anybody have experience with tearing down a LT1 that had the coolant bypass and/or the installation of a 160F. 'stat? My main question would be, does the decreased engine temp cause excessive carbon build-up on the valves and/or intake/exhaust passages? Does the coolant bypass cause excessive coking in the intake?
The reason is simple, generally speaking, the cooler the engine components are, the more carbon tends to cling to them.
Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question Kevin, but honestly I have no idea. To the people who are paying for this kit, why????????????

It costs a total of probably $5 to get the stuff at Pepboys. One pack of two by pass caps meduim size and one pack of hose clamps. Comes with four although you only need two. Just my advice.

Jeff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bypassing the TB cools the intake air marginally. But I would highly doubt it reduces engine temp at all. Certainly not enough to worry about excess carbon build-up.

So go ahead and do it people!! The extra 2-4HP could edge you past that Mustang that's just out of reach!! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The answer to the question "why?"...because just like the rest of us (come on and admit it), we were all new to the SS cars at some point and anxious to make improvements and didn't know about this forum yet.
Lemme think, now where did I spend $$$ on something that I didn't have to spend $$$ on, only to read about it here.
Stretch86SS, welcome to this forum and FYI before you make any more changes, research the archives and ask questions.
Chances are that it has already been asked and answered by some very experianced SS and 9C1 owners.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We've pulled quite a few (understatement
) motors apart and have never noticed a difference between motors that had the 160 degree thermostats and those that did not. Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Katshot:
You know, this is a subject that I have a question on. Does anybody have experience with tearing down a LT1 that had the coolant bypass and/or the installation of a 160F. 'stat? ...............Kevin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin,
Probably the 1st thing I did to my car back in 1994 was the TB Bypass and 160Tstat with the Hypercrap. The HPP POS was the 1st mod that I regretted.
Anyhoo....I think it was around 1998 that I tore apart my engine and did not notice any unusual carbon in the combustion chamber or piston tops. The intake of course only gets a thin layer of oily resude from the gasoline and pcv. Not bad at all.
No coke anywhere in the motor due to Mobil-1.

The cooler running cylinder heads, due to the 160stat, is really nice for reducing the pinging under high load.

Like someone already mentioned...the TB bypass hardly helps to reduce intake temps...but every 0.01 degree F adds up.

It's a good free mod.
Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a reminder to all that the Hypertech (or other) 160* 'stat for our engines is comparable to the old style 180* 'stat. If you have any doubts hook up a scanner to your PCM and read the engine coolant temperature after operating temp has been reached. Mine, with a 160* 'stat, runs consistantly at 182*. With the stock 'stat operating temp, IIRR, is 198*. The upshot of all of this is that excessive carbon buildup and coking should not come into consideration, even with the TB bypass.

Stewart

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...or you can just leave the two tubes uncovered...I did. All mods to the LT1 are incremental and additive. One mod by itself, won't make 'much' difference (ok - a little)...but the LT really comes to life with the 'full set' of bolt-ons. I just acquired a '95 BBB and it feels a little 'doggy' compared to my 9c1...especially in the handling department. That's the difference in a couple hundred dollars of tried & trued bolt-ons vs stock. AND BONUS: gas milage DOES NOT change brotha'..if anything it MIGHT get better. I wish I had dyno'd mine before and after the bolt-on treatment. Keep asking questions -- I'm still learning too!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for the responses. Yes the kit does come with plugs for the throttle body outlets.

I know I should have asked beforehand about the bypass especially once I did the work myself & saw how easily it hooked backed up. I usually learn from trial & error & don't see things ahead of time like even looking to see that the outlet hose from the throttle body would run to the inlet line.

But thanks for the input & I will ask more questions the next time

stretch

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to be sure AND ensure I still get heat I have the 160 Stat but, had Bryan set my fans at 205/195 to get just a bit more engine heat and yet still all the timing the motor could stand...works great!
:D :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.