Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how much coolant/ water i should use when refilling from swapping optis? thanx

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i read 18 quarts is this correct? so how much coolant should i use 2 gallons of straight coolant and 2, 2 1/2 of water?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bmttt

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Get a FSM. Anyone who posts 700+ times in 4 months should have one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
To specifically answer your question - if all you are doing is pulling the water pump changing opti and reassembling 1 gallon of coolant and 1 gallon of distilled water should take car of it.

If you do not know the last time it had a complete flush now would be the time! I would recommend the following:
2 gallons anti-freeze of your choice + 9 gallons of distilled water.

Do everything you had planned but in addition drain radiator fully and pull both knock sensors out of the block to fully drain system.

Reassemble everything and temp. Install both knock sensors. Close radiator drain. Remove thermostat housing and thermostat, fill block with straight distilled water until full. Replace thermostat housing using just the rubber gasket from the thermostat (Leave thermostat out) surge tank - start car and turn heater too full hot - let run for about 5 minutes and bleed air and fill until full - run varying RPM for 10-15 minutes until engine has reached operating temp. (You can go run a quick errand if you like 5-10 mile drive) Shut off open hood and take a break to let the engine cool!

Drain radiator - pull knock sensors (fully drain system) reassemble the knock sensors (torque to spec with light coat of pipe sealer)
Remove thermostat housing - fill block starting with 1 gallon anti-freeze - then 1 gallon water, etc...When block is full - reinstall rubber seal around thermostat and reinstall thermostat. Continue to fill start and bleed - check for leaks etc. Check level each day after it cools on level ground and fill until level is consistent - I keep mine at or just over the divider in the surge tank.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
To specifically answer your question - if all you are doing is pulling the water pump changing opti and reassembling 1 gallon of coolant and 1 gallon of distilled water should take car of it.

If you do not know the last time it had a complete flush now would be the time! I would recommend the following:
2 gallons anti-freeze of your choice + 9 gallons of distilled water.

Do everything you had planned but in addition drain radiator fully and pull both knock sensors out of the block to fully drain system.

Reassemble everything and temp. Install both knock sensors. Close radiator drain. Remove thermostat housing and thermostat, fill block with straight distilled water until full. Replace thermostat housing using just the rubber gasket from the thermostat (Leave thermostat out) surge tank - start car and turn heater too full hot - let run for about 5 minutes and bleed air and fill until full - run varying RPM for 10-15 minutes until engine has reached operating temp. (You can go run a quick errand if you like 5-10 mile drive) Shut off open hood and take a break to let the engine cool!

Drain radiator - pull knock sensors (fully drain system) reassemble the knock sensors (torque to spec with light coat of pipe sealer)
Remove thermostat housing - fill block starting with 1 gallon anti-freeze - then 1 gallon water, etc...When block is full - reinstall rubber seal around thermostat and reinstall thermostat. Continue to fill start and bleed - check for leaks etc. Check level each day after it cools on level ground and fill until level is consistent - I keep mine at or just over the divider in the surge tank.
What does turning heat on accomplish? There is a constant flow of coolant through the heater core for a given RPM. Setting heater full hot only opens up the air mix door completely and does not affect coolant system at all, as far as I know.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Some people are just in the habit of turning on the heat (on some cars it matters) Plus, most directions include this step. It won't hurt anything,but it isn't required on these cars.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
What does turning heat on accomplish? There is a constant flow of coolant through the heater core for a given RPM. Setting heater full hot only opens up the air mix door completely and does not affect coolant system at all, as far as I know.
Totally true.

I think I used about 4 jugs+ of premix green recently. Flushing water through and dumping all out the knock sensors.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
It was exactly 4 gallons on my last change, 2 of green and 2 of distilled. I replaced the heater core, hoses, had the pump off and drained/flushed the block, radiator and coolant tank so the entire system was pretty dry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts