Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on here about a gm bulletin saying to avoid flushing machines mostly for the transmission. Is a cooling system flushing machine safe to use?.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I don't trust them personally. Prefer doing it myself anyway...

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I read on here about a gm bulletin saying to avoid flushing machines mostly for the transmission. Is a cooling system flushing machine safe to use?.
To answer your question specifically, I'd say its ok to use one. But.....this would assume it's your personal machine and not 1 used by the multiple garages out there that have them. Obviously, you or most of us are not going to have our own flushing machine. :>) But it's to the point where I really don't trust a lot of these shops doing something as well as I would or trust that they even have the knowledge to do it correctly. Read too many horror stories to think otherwise and a few personal experiences with this too.

If you read the info in the stickies, it mentions that the biggest problem with having a flush done by a machine at a facility is there is no way of telling how well the machine is maintained, how clean are the connections and who knows if there are containments that could get pushed into your transmission. As 1slow touched on, to flush the trans yourself is the way to go. It's not difficult and the steps to do so are spelled out here pretty well. At least this way you can assure that the flush is done properly and should not damage anything.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
At first I thought you were asking something completely different. Basically, you just wonder if the rationale behind criticism of tranny flushers is the same for shying away from coolant flushers? If that's your question, then I say YES. As explained by others it's an expensive solution for a simple process, and comes with lots of ways of doing it incorrectly. We're all saying to do it right, do it yourself and do it manually according to the (simple, well-described, cheap) methods on the forum.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
OOPS!! I completely read your post wrong as my last response was based on "Me Thinking" you were asking about a transmission Flush. I now see you were actually asking about a Coolant Flush. Well that's a different animal altogether.

I would not waste my time with a "Coolant Flush" not from a damage issue so much as from a "why even bother" perspective. Most Flush procedure's consist of disconnecting a line, flushing out the old fluid and pumping in new fluid. This is fine but does absolutely nothing to attack the "real problem" of the cooling system and that is junk/crud in the system.

The only way to get all of this junk out of there is to drain the coolant, remove Knock Sensors to flush the block and also you need to flush the Heater Core AND the Reservoir or there is no point in changing the coolant. In addition, I would also be replacing the T-stat as well as the restrictor and Plastic tee fitting. A Coolant Flush at a shop is not going to touch on all these items that (IMHO) NEED to be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts