Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my tie rods, idler arm, center link fixed with a nice alignment. I pick up my car at the shop and water starts gushing.

the coolant hose T connector broke! I attached pics of the damage. I noticed one hose has a special fitting and is not a clamp style. Can I cut that hose and replace it with a clamp when I attach a new T?:(

Attachments

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
So I finally got my tie rods, idler arm, center link fixed with a nice alignment. I pick up my car at the shop and water starts gushing.

the coolant hose T connector broke! I attached pics of the damage. I noticed one hose has a special fitting and is not a clamp style. Can I cut that hose and replace it with a clamp when I attach a new T?:(
You can just cut the crimped clamp lengthwise with a Dremel or cutoff tool careful not to nick those 9c1 hoses so you can reuse them. :D. Then just peel it off and use a lined worm gear clamp when reassembled.

Info in this thread and also check the links to see how to make a metal tee if you don't want to go plastic again. I would replace the flow restrictor too and drain flush the entire cooling system while it's down. New tstat is a good idea as well.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1249665&highlight=Dremel+cut+half

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can just cut the crimped clamp lengthwise with a Dremel or cutoff tool careful not to nick those 9c1 hoses so you can reuse them. :D. Then just peel it off and use a lined worm gear clamp when reassembled.

Info in this thread and also check the links to see how to make a metal tee if you don't want to go plastic again. I would replace the flow restrictor too and drain flush the entire cooling system while it's down. New tstat is a good idea as well.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1249665&highlight=Dremel+cut+half
Thanks 4DoorSS--I got some help removing the crimp. They smashed it with a hammer and then pulled it off. The hose was saved! Those heater hose T connectors are 3/4" x 3/4" x 5/8" and specially designed for this car. Couldn't find one at any auto parts store. So, I bought a 3/4" x 3/4 x 3/4" T at Home Depot (for some reason the home depot ones run small, almost like a 5/8 all the way around, so it fit the 5/8 hose). It'll hold for now until I get the OEM connector off eBay.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Thanks 4DoorSS--I got some help removing the crimp. They smashed it with a hammer and then pulled it off. The hose was saved! Those heater hose T connectors are 3/4" x 3/4" x 5/8" and specially designed for this car. Couldn't find one at any auto parts store. So, I bought a 3/4" x 3/4 x 3/4" T at Home Depot (for some reason the home depot ones run small, almost like a 5/8 all the way around, so it fit the 5/8 hose). It'll hold for now until I get the OEM connector off eBay.
That sounds about right on the metal Tee. I believe all the threads were 3/4" and then just used the different "Help!" Fittings for the different hose sizes. The fittings were in stock at the parts store.

Glad to hear the hose made it. The Green hoses are harder to find and getting ridiculously expensive. My used hoses looked pretty bad, if you want to clean yours up, they should turn out pretty nice. I just washed mine to get the dirt off and then used some Ajax powder and made a paste to scrub them up till they looked like this.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showpost.php?p=3045626&postcount=25

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Can't for the life of me find the thread about the T-hose, that is, a hose preformed with a T [so you don't need a plastic aluminium or brass T]?
I believe that would be the Samco Hose kit....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=311338&highlight=Samco+hoses

They are pricey and not sure if they are still available for the LT1. Think I read somewhere that these actually "seep" through the hose somehow, or maybe got this confused with some other hose.

Still don't think you can beat the old 9C1 green hoses if you're OK with Green. I like the look of the stock green hoses cause they're different and stock GM. :). The coolness factor alone plus the fact they are over 20 YO GM hoses and still holding up...pretty cool!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I believe that would be the Samco Hose kit.

They are pricey and not sure if they are still available for the LT1.
Think I read somewhere that these actually "seep" through the hose somehow, or maybe got this confused with some other hose?

Still don't think you can beat the old 9C1 green hoses if you're OK with Green. I like the look of the stock green hoses cause they're different and stock GM.
:)
The coolness factor alone plus the fact they are over 20 YO GM hoses and still holding up … pretty cool!
Regarding the hose kits, that's very likely one of the kits that I was thinking of, even if it isn't the specific thread I was thinking of; still, thanks!

If you can find a set of serviceable SEO 9C1-1T1 silicone hoses that still look good after 20 years, by any and all means BUY THEM, duhr; aesthetics being the 1st major variable, and the cost being the 2nd, as they no longer exist new, are 20 years old-and-used, and most people who sell 9C1-1T1 hoses know what they're selling, and charge accordingly.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Thanks for letting us know where to buy them, and how much you paid for them!
Bought them used on one of the Facebook b-body parts pages and paid $150 plus shipping for them.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Bought them used on one of the Facebook b-body parts pages and paid $150 plus shipping for them.
Score! That's a good deal on those. Someone is trying to get $400 for a used set of 9C1 hoses on Ebay right now.....Ridiculous! I bought a few sets over the years and usually the price was in the $74-$100 range...that's doable.

The prices I sometimes see on ebay for B body parts is getting crazy for certain used/NOS items. They must think these parts are made out of Gold. Oh well, supply and demand I guess.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had two of those plastic connectors fail on me. I went ahead and got the 5/8" brass t-fitting from amazon. You can get another reducing brass fitting for the line to the water pump. Its a pain when they fail and get antifreeze all over everything. The other point of failure in the cooling system (besides the water pump) are the plastic fittings from the radiator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts