Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95-Chevy impala. Got out of my car and it was leaking pretty bad. Popped the hood and its leaking bad out of my reservoir tank, from under the cap. Looked like too much pressure to be a cracked cap. Any ideas? I just changed the thermostat last year could that be bad already or would it be a clogged heater core? help please.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Have you replaced the cap? That's the first thing to try.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one more question. what if its not the cap and i keep drivin my car making sure there is coolant in the tank. shouldnt be bad for it right, because if the thermostat is the problem and its staying closed then i really shouldnt drive on it right.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I had this problem last year and it was my thermostat. It would close when the car was shut off and all the coolant would back up through the cap. So my cap was working fine and releasing the coolant under too much pressure. You might as well buy both. Whats $20???

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
It still looks like coolant right? Hasn't picked up a red tint? Cause I had a similar first symptom when I blew out the radiator's internal transmission cooler. The high pressure trans fluid was pressurizing the radiator way above the 15psi mark.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hate to bring back an old thread, but I have a 96 and its doing the same thing. I just had my thermostat replaced about a week ago and tonight while I was waiting on a friend I notice coolant leaking from the car. I popped the hood and sure enough the coolant was leaking from the cap. I even heard a hissing sound coming from it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
When the thermostat was replaced, was it properly bled afterwards?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure, I had the car serviced at the dealer. They told me they could not find the leak so they were going to replace the thermostat just incase.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
get your car close to operating temp and crack the bleeder screw open that is on the thermostat neck under the TB boot....keep it open until fluid comes out. It should release the air fairly quickly

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
You're right, I didn't notice you had a '96. It looks like they have a '96 Delco one with the orange sticker and 18lbs. If you are using the orange Dexcool, you should probably go with that to keep someone from mixing green with it.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
If you are using the orange Dexcool, you should probably go with that to keep someone from mixing green with it.
Or just flush the system and get rid of the dexcool (recommended)

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
There's nothing wrong with Dexcool as long as you don't use the tablets. That has been well established.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts