Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas -

Wanted to check with you to see/find out if anyone out there is running an alternate coolant reservoir/tank? I'm in the middle of putting my LS engine back together and since I'm using a different bracket for the A/C, now my coolant tank is touching the a/c compressor.

I've seen a few cars out there using different styles of coolant tanks, but now that I need to find one, I can't think of anyone that has them. If you are in fact running something else than the stock unit, can you share some information? I would appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance.

Attached is the pic of my current problem.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
would notching the tank seam give you enough clearance?

and/or notching/trimming the 3 mounting tab/holes of the tank so it can move away some??

or maybe check various tanks from LSx donor vehicles

I would think in the 100+ pages of LS swap thread there should be something (pic) of others who have crossed this bridge before. One quick glance showed one but looked like a AC delete install so that won't apply to your problem

·
Registered
149 Posts
After market places such as Jegs should have generic coolant over flow tanks that could be used in a pinch if you can't modify the one you have.

Rodney

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
After market places such as Jegs should have generic coolant over flow tanks that could be used in a pinch if you can't modify the one you have.

Rodney

Not an over flow tank. Reservoir is a pressurized part of the cooling system.

As noted above, there is some movement allowed. Loosen bolts and slide, then retighten. Modify mounting slots if needed.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Coolant Reservoir Problem..

Places like Canton,and others make reservoirs out of aluminum for Mustangs,Camaro/Firebird,etc.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey Fellas -

Wanted to check with you to see/find out if anyone out there is running an alternate coolant reservoir/tank? I'm in the middle of putting my LS engine back together and since I'm using a different bracket for the A/C, now my coolant tank is touching the a/c compressor.

I've seen a few cars out there using different styles of coolant tanks, but now that I need to find one, I can't think of anyone that has them. If you are in fact running something else than the stock unit, can you share some information? I would appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance.

Attached is the pic of my current problem.

what brackets and acsesories are u using?ay better shot of the engine?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I've used the reservoir from the Chevy Cavalier in some race cars I've built.
A lot smaller tank and it actually has an over flow hose for when the cap builds up
too much pressure (is NHRA legal).
You'll need to be creative in mounting it. :)

Nab

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what brackets and acsesories are u using?ay better shot of the engine?
Brackets are from Dirty Dingo, I'm using their alt & power steering billet bracket, also planned to use their ac relocation bracket, that's what you see in the pics.

So I decided to removed the ac bracket and run the oem ac bracket and tensioner bracket. Will be installing it next week.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts