Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I am in the process of rebuilding my front suspension and Powersteering systems. I have my new Powersteering system installed minus the need to flush its small resivour and connect it. *Now, my focus is on replacing the Engine Coolant systems hoses. This,, simply, because I don't want to bleed and burp the system then have a hose or something leak. I now recently went ahead and installed the GM AC Delco hose assembly that has the restrictor on it. Its the one from Rockauto that is pre-built. Aside that, I am going to go ahead and purchase the 2 larger radiator hoses while I'm empty of coolant plus a thermostat. This way I'm good and reliable and "keeping my fingers crossed" don't have to dump a new coolant installation to fix a hose that gives anytime near this whole new beginning. Now my question. I replaced this coolant resivour sometime after I purchased this car 12 years ago. it's a GM one and I purchased it directly "in person" from a nearby dealer. It has about "20,000 miles maximum" on it. That number of miles may be 18k. My concern is the coolant tanks plastic "side" where the two shells seem to be formed together are beginning to crumbe. The crumbling is happening on two thinner pieces where it seems to be two shells meeting but I'm not sure if this is even how it's made. I'm not sure if it's a two piece mold or one piece. it looks like two but I can't say this. Aside this information, isn't this coolant tank still considered a newer low mileage tank? The original tank that I replaced (because leaks) was pretty yellowed vs this one still very white and am thinking it WAS original with the 110,000 + miles because it's yellow color. What do you guys think about my tank here. Is this two piece looking crumbling lip edge that's deteriatoring something to worry about? Is this common on the edge of the tanks? I'm also asking if I perhaps develop a leak from reusing this resivour, can I just siphon the tank, carefully swap a new one in while the vehicle is cold without making a coolant mess? I don't want to reuse this tank if it's ready to give but if it's possible it will last 80,000 more miles like a yellowed one did, why would I waste the money now? Is the composition of this new tank flawed from the start? I'm wondering how many old yellow tanks have this crumbling going on? Maybe they all crumble? Should I keep going with this resivour? Or was it made defective? Note, I've always kept my dexcool properly mixed. Thanks.
Automotive tire Wood Rim Wheel Tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Rim
Automotive tire Toy Asphalt Automotive design Gas

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
The tanks are 2 piece and then permanently sealed together. Most of the used ones I see have slight cracking in some spots, small ones going perpendicular to the seam. That being said, the crack in the second-to-last pic looks pretty extreme. I guess it depends on how far deep it is. The attachment point is a little inset to the edge from what I remember, so slight cracking won’t affect operation if it’s literally just at the lip of the seam.

All of the GM / AC Delco tanks will have “Geiger USA” molded in the plastic. To the left of the fill cap. I’ve never seen the offshore clones to see what their molding looks like.

Reactions: helpthe95

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your feedback guys. I went ahead and purchased a new GM Genuine one from Rockauto. I don't want to worry about this ones leaking potential every time I'm driving especially during these hot summers.

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is a Geiger U.S.A. I'm not sure on the AC Delco/GM Genuine difference. Is there a difference? This one was purchased from one of my local Chevrolet Dealers Parts department. I can't remember if I had to order it and wait for them to receive it. Its about in the area of 10 years old 20k miles. it has the 2 holes inside where coolant can travel.
Snow Grey Freezing Font Grass

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
here is the GM one I ordered on RockAuto in March of this year. The identification numbers in the molding are a little hard to see but you can make them out in the reflection. The box GM label is dated 2020, fyi.

GM part number 12528777
priced at $99 on RockAuto in March ‘22

(also, I posted in the other thread, but I did check and this tank has both passage holes visible from the fill neck, so you should be okay there)

Light Toy Automotive wheel system Gas Plastic

Gas Circle Ingredient Cylinder Fashion accessory

Gadget Material property Packing materials Peripheral Plastic

Rectangle Font Ticket Electric blue Magenta

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Hi, if you search my threads i went thru the whole leaking new rez deal too.
Turns out there was a bad batch, and then they sorted it out. I am pretty sure i got one from the bad batch.
2n one i ordered from Rockauto a few years later was good to go.
-ALF out....

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, if you search my threads i went thru the whole leaking new rez deal too.
Turns out there was a bad batch, and then they sorted it out. I am pretty sure i got one from the bad batch.
2n one i ordered from Rockauto a few years later was good to go.
-ALF out....
Thanks, I'll see if I can check it out your threads. I received mine below.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure if I should be worried about these white marks in the seams. looks to me like some sort of cold stretching or not a hot enough bond when they made it. IDK. Anybody see this as normal/acceptable? Was anybody like this? If so, how long have you been running it?
Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Automotive design Wood
Hood Automotive lighting Table Automotive design Automotive tire
Grey Human leg Thigh Knee Nail
Wood Electrical wiring Wire Cable Flooring
Fluid Gas Tints and shades Automotive design Wire
Drinkware Grey Audio equipment Serveware Gadget

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the box was made in November 2021, then this tank was packaged on this date or after this date. It doesn't really mean the manufacture date. I'm guessing the previously posted GM sticker doesn't guarantee anything either.
Font Circle Brand Electric blue Graphics

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
BTW my mech used air and pressure tested. So i figure any mech worth a dam should be able to test it for you before you use it. Good Luck !
-ALF

1 - 19 of 19 Posts