Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal. I will finally in a couple weeks be starting my turbo LQ9 swap. I am going to be using a single turbo setup and have plans on running it on the passenger side and having the downpipe run along the passenger side fender toward the back of the engine. By doing this is will have to relocate the coolant tank. Has anyone done a tank relocation before? If so, what coolant tank did you use and please post pictures if you have them. Any comments would be a great help. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
453 Posts
So here's the deal. I will finally in a couple weeks be starting my turbo LQ9 swap. I am going to be using a single turbo setup and have plans on running it on the passenger side and having the downpipe run along the passenger side fender toward the back of the engine. By doing this is will have to relocate the coolant tank. Has anyone done a tank relocation before? If so, what coolant tank did you use and please post pictures if you have them. Any comments would be a great help. Thanks guys.
The coolant tank is not the biggest challenge in doing a single front mount in a B body IMO. Getting the turbo located behind the radiator and geting the hotside plumbed I believe is quite a challenge. I considered that configuration and never even got to worry about the coolant tank.

As big as B body's are there is not a ton of room when it comes to front mounts. That's why I made a rearmount, and now I will go to a different body because of the excess weight. B Bodys are fun but drop 800 - 1000 lbs and the problems are drastically reduced.

Good luck

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I dont think a 91mm turbo will fit underneath the car too well. I am planning on putting the turbo near where the battery currently sits since I will be moving the battery to the trunk. I personally would much rather see a 4000lbs car run 10.80's then see a 3400lbs car run 9.80's. My goal is to run high 10's :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well I dont think a 91mm turbo will fit underneath the car too well.
The 91mm would take forever to spool, and that is why it is wrong for a rearmount turbo. Heck it is probably too big for most setups and in a heavy car will probably be troublesome.

I am planning on putting the turbo near where the battery currently sits since I will be moving the battery to the trunk. .
It is hooking up the hotside that is the problem, not finding a place to put the turbo.

I personally would much rather see a 4000lbs car run 10.80's then see a 3400lbs car run 9.80's. My goal is to run high 10's :D
It is obvious I don't have your fabrication experience, but I know numbers and know if you get a B body to 4000 with driver it takes 630 RWHP to go 10.8

A 3400 requires 530 RWHP to go 10.8. 100 RWHP is ALOT and going in the 10's is NICE ESPECIALLY when it takes ~500 RWHP. A DD in the 10's sounds easy, but it isn't as the weight goes up unless you have DEEP pockets and are talented!

It is easy to type numbers on a screen much harder to achieve them especially if you know that these numbers are what it takes in a perfectly setup car. And to go 9.8 in a 3400lbs car takes 715 RWHP

Enough talk about numbers I will let you get to the hard part and locate the overflow tank

Good luck.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually my buddy and I will be tackling the build. He has a little bit of welding experience. I'm glad you posted those numbers though. It actually got my hopes up even more. I doubt my 408 with 9.2:1 cr will have much trouble spooling that turbo. The 3.73 gears will help a little too. And since I'm planning on 750rwhp I think my goals of 10.80's are very possible. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I just used a coolant expansion tank I got from summit racing. Make sure they are the kind that take pressure, with a rad cap on top not the "overflow" tanks.

Plumb it like the OEM one and that's it. make sure the tank sits high so that the air bubbles can escape from the rest of the system.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Do you know what the part number was? And what is it made out of? I really like the looks of aluminum ones. Do you have any pics of your engine bay? Oh and about your twin turbo setup, how much power are you putting out to run 11.49? Thanks man

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
no idea of the power as it hasn't been on a dyno... BUT, it had a 120+ mph trap speed and weight was 4200 lbs with me and fuel. I'm guessing somewhere over 600 hp at the flywheel.

I was able to run 11.49 with less power, on nitrous. I had a best time of 11.49 @ 117 mph with a 4100 lbs race weight. I probably had around 520 hp at the flywheel with nitrous.

The car had WAY more power with the turbos but I didn't have the time to do a really good time with it before I broke it :(

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Cooling-System-Expansion-Tanks/

I'm using the Howe 57$ tank with a Moroso cap.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
There's sooo much room under a bbody hood well that's if u gutted everything like me. And if you want a 91mm get a t4 91mm im sure it spools crazy fast. I also plan to run 10s in my hi compression ls1 twin turbo build.
All i did is get a summit plastic 1 quart coolant overflow and put it on.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the link. If you were running mid 11's with 600ish horsepower then I really think I'm capable of running high 10's with my setup.:) if you don't mind me asking, what exactly did you break with the turbo setup? 383LSX, My turbo is actually a T6 flange but I think with a 408 I should be able to spool it just fine.ill be posting some pics of the progress in a few hours. How's your build coming along?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I broke a piston.

It was a cheap stock style hypereutectic piston... rated to around 450 hp max... NO BOOST cwm4

check out the "lets build me a shortblock" thread in the engine performance section, pics are in the last pages.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Thanks for the link. If you were running mid 11's with 600ish horsepower then I really think I'm capable of running high 10's with my setup.:) if you don't mind me asking, what exactly did you break with the turbo setup? 383LSX, My turbo is actually a T6 flange but I think with a 408 I should be able to spool it just fine.ill be posting some pics of the progress in a few hours. How's your build coming along?
Its going very slowly I been out of work 10 months this year and 6 months last year. So its going very slowly but im getting there. So if your build gonna be a weekend warrior type for all out racing?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No weekend warrior crap for me. No offense if that's your thing. I get called that enough for being a reservist. I'm not saying I'll be driving this thing everyday but atleast a few times a week. Say to school or to get groceries etc. My main goal is to run 93 octane and meth on a street car and be able to push 750rwhp at around 15psi and drive to the track, run anywhere in the 10's and drive it home. I plan on selling the 22 and 20 wheel combo for a set of black powdercoated 15" weld dragstars and to run a rear tire somewhere between a 295/60/15 DR and a 315/60/15 DR (mickey thompson that is). The boost controller does have two settings so I plan on having a street tune for low boost and a more race oriented tune with high boost. Though the motor alone will probably have something close to 500 crank horsepower by itself so I don't know how much of a street tune it will be. I like my car too much to just drive it on weekends :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
some teaser photos

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good luck with yours as well. I figured you wouldnt be driving yours on the street especially with 12.5:1 cr and boost and Q16 fuel, lol. I'll be checking in on your progress believe me. I'll keep posting pics as progress continues on my build as well.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
And what bluff did I call you on Anthony? The fact that he COASTED to an 11.7? And that 4wd truck also weighs in at 5400lbs+, 2wd at 5200+ with the associated piping and all? Please explain...I can wait.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Ok, it's official.

1. I never said the 91mm turbo will own all, or anything of the sort. The owner is looking for 10.90 and ~750rwhp, which I think will be easily attainable with his combo and some suspenion tuning.
2. Of course its gonna start off a little slower, seeing as it won't be in full boost for a second or 2. Minivan slow? No. At least his motor can still make ~480rwhp as it currently sits. Welcome to the world of big boy turbos Anthony :) Turbo lag is part of the game. Of course you will have less with your 2 snails, vice his 1 gimongous turby, so pull your head outta your ass please.
3. He isn't trying to leave under full boost anyway, hence having a progressive boost controller.

-Rant- Now on to you. Keep your little bitches and gripes off the forum. Just because I blew up on your hard headed ass last night, doesn't mean you have to carry it over to the forum. I honestly feel you are being really childish right now. If anything, I have NEVER told you anything that wasn't for your own good. You must've forgotten who was the little parrot on your shoulder calling bs on Mike's answers. I was trying to get you to see all the little pitfalls of having a 1000hp car. Running 9sec in a 4400lb car is way different than running 9 sec in a 3600lb car. I NEVER said don't do it, now did I? -End Rant-

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.