Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I removed everything when I got the new cia tri-y gen 2 headers and I recently removed the relay for the pump and the solenoid for the egr and that is when the light came on. If that's what causing the fans to come on then I will install the two parts I recently took off and put back on. As for my hesitation issue that I'm having, I'll have to order the otvc wires because the number 7 boot is up against the header and I have a boot protector on it but the protector has already turned white and is hard on that spot. I didn't realize that you couldn't have it actually touch the header which is causing my issue of hesitation. It's fine when it's cold and runs great but when it warms up, she starts hesitating more and more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Woohoo. It is back to normal. Thank you everyone for your help on this. Now I just have to fix the hesitation and the hole in the floor board and I should be good to go. Oh, and the rr coil spring that finally sprung. Thank you again everyone

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Having a cabin mounted LED indicating each fan's operation is a good idea anyway. Have a pair myself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glad things are better! You may get random CEL with EGR delete, even with the solenoid there. So be on the watch for that.

As for your plug wires, get that sorted out first and see if it helps the hesitation. Ditching the EGR without a reprogram can also cause hesitation believe it or not because the computer compensates for it being there. I do not advocate deleting the EGR. It doesn't really cost you any performance, I used to race mine with it there! I just run the F-Body version. Let me guess, you deleted it due to the headers and didn't want to deal with it?

But one thing at a time. Get the spark plug wire fixed first. Wire routing on a LT1 is important. Follow the stock routing and retain the stock looming.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I did but the msd wires with the gray boots are too big and are against the headers unfortunately with the stock routing. As for the egr, one was because of the headers and the cut outs I went with for the headers and also because I am going with a bigger cam that I got from Lloyd Elliot

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cool. With those mods, you will be better served with a reprogram anyways. Enjoy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah but for now, it's le2 heads and ported intake manifold with cia tri-y gen 2 headers. I'm not putting the cam in yet because I want the rear end upgraded and my trans upgraded first. Will definitely be a fun car once I'm finally done. Also going with moe bailey for the tune which I think I will have him tune it now and improve the stock tune some. If I knew how to do it, I would do it myself. I came across the one website that talks about how to do it but I'm more visual and hands on in how to tune it. Something that was never taught to me when I went to school for automotive. Oh well, after 20 years of being a mechanic and having back surgery, I'm happy to retire

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think it's great that you are doing this to a Roadmaster as well. Something you don't see every day.

My buddy had his Procharged (actually "Paxton-charged" LOL) '94 Roadmaster at the ISS Nationals in Pittsburgh last year. I think he won a trophy with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That's pretty cool. Yeah my Roadmaster has been named the Blues mobile. I know that they mentioned Cadillac in the movie but I'm happy with the Roadmaster and the goal for this car is about 400 horse at the wheels. I also want to get a 9C1 Caprice with the upgraded ball joints because I plan to make that like the police car in the movie but that one is going to be built to give cops a hard time in Chicago, LoL. As for a Impala, I think that will become LS and be my street and strip car. I definitely have ideas but need the money to do it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Here's what happened with running in stock location. This is the number 5 wire and I already know number 7 and pretty sure number 6 is like this also. That is why I'm going with otvc wires because the stock location don't work with cia gen 2 tri y headers

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of headers.

Reactions: Buda572

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
LoL yes. Lesson learned and now have to wait until I have the money to buy otvc wires. At least now I know what is causing my hesitation. Chased my tail for a year trying to figure it out without a scanner but now I know and have plenty of parts that I put on this car thinking it was that because I thought the boot protectors would protect with it resting on the headers. Definitely learned from my mistake

·
Registered
126 Posts
Too late now... but for the sake of others who might be considering headers... my advice is that unless you are spending the majority of your time above 4000 RPM or running boost, dispense with the headers on a street car and keep the LT1 cast iron manifolds. If anything, give them a port alignment and polish job. They flow well enough for normally aspirated, even with a mild cam. If you do need headers because you have a more aggressive build planned, then definitely the tri-y's are the way to go on a LT1 B-Body. But they aren't perfect.

Similarly, to the folks running the old fashioned pre-LT1 SBCs in cars and trucks... I say to run the cast iron ramhorn manifolds from the 60s trucks or Vettes on those. They flow well enough for a mild tune and don't come with the same headaches as headers. I put a 383 stroker in my truck... and bolted up ramhorns to it. No need to redline it. I got torque out the wazoo down low. Never bothered to dyno it since I'm happy with what I got. NOTE: the older SBC ramhorns will not mate up to the LT1 D-ports.

In some cases, a discussion like this has caused some heated debate. LOL. So it's a matter of preference and purpose for the vehicle. If it's only a track car, or a show car, then sure, run headers. Maybe you'll gain a tenth (well all should know, bigger gains are made with the whole package, not just a single bolt-on). Yes headers sound great and may give you some more HP on the top end. But if you are spending time in the vehicle commuting, I'm not a fan. Too many headaches. Cracks, warping, flaking coatings, rust, leaks, burnt plug wires, overheated starters, fires, you name it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I like headers but not every vehicle I own will have them. For my car, it's a daily driver as well as seeing the track. As for what I have, mine our stainless but I'm considering wrapping my headers. I will admit that these headers do cool off pretty quick but I love them and will do great with the cutouts that are built into the down pipe for the track. As for me posting the pics, I look at it as a teaching tool for others that one day buy a b body and decide they want to do similar to what I did and can learn from my mistake and see proof of what can happen with these particular headers and routing wires through the stock location. Maybe one day it can become a sticky note and help others

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Finally a update. Went and bought some cheap wires and used the number 7 wire that I bought and used it for the number 5 cylinder. I rerouted the msd number 7 wire to above the valve cover after I found the boot was slightly burned but not as bad as number 5. So I wrapped the boot in electrical tape then put the boot protector back on but the burn side towards the engine block and plugged it back in to number 7. Did the same with number 5 wire with the boot protector and plugged it back in. Ran the car for a while, put on the ac and did brake torque snaps with the throttle and the hesitation is gone. Got lucky I only burned one wire. Yes I know the routing of the wires is wrong but it is a temporary fix until I have the money for the otvc wires.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. Sounds like you are on the right track. Thanks for the update!

Yep, that routing is terrible but it sounds like you are well aware... LOL. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Do you really need OTVC wires? Or do you just want it for the look? Can you not use the original routing? Are 7&8 the only problem? There are other options. I guess in the end it doesn't matter... I just know that the LT1 is fussy with routing (with the side effect being a misfire) and I try to use the stock routing as per the FSM when possible. This is why I use a good quality 7mm wire set with original routing and heat shields and be done with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
If it were a different header then yes. Unfortunately, what you can't see in the pictures is that the number 5 header pipe blocks the routing of the number 5 wire. The way the pipes are routed, it leaves a opening up top at number 5 and 7 to run the wires up top. That number 5 wire, the way it was routed in stock location, was resting on the header and there was no other way to route it, same thing with the number 7 wire with the stock location. But I got lucky. One good thing about these camaro heads that have been upgraded to le2 heads is that they have angled plugs so they angle it that opening that is just big enough to put a wire there. I'm only going with the otvc wires so I don't burn another wire. If I have time, I will try to take more pics of how the header pipes are routed on the driver side.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Here are the pics but unfortunately, it's tight to fit the camera down there. But here are the problem areas that caused the wire boots to burn.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts