Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright for those who have been helping me with my problem know that I had a leak and I just found it the other day and it was my temperature sensor for my coolant on my water pump. well I tightened down the sensor and there is still a small leak, I was wondering if there's suppose to be a o ring on the sensor when installed? because it's still leaking.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Did you use some teflon tape or sealant on the threads? I always put something on it. If so and it still leaks, check the WP housing directly underneath the sensor, I've had a rebuilt pump crack there before.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you use some teflon tape or sealant on the threads? I always put something on it. If so and it still leaks, check the WP housing directly underneath the sensor, I've had a rebuilt pump crack there before.
I hate reman water pumps, I'll never buy a rebuilt one ever again. I wish I bought the nice shiny Duralast pump for $150 it would of saved me a lot of stress and time... this is my second reman pump and no I didn't put teflon on it again, my friend put some on it the first time but it still leaked.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
It shouldn't need more than moderate force on a wrench or rachet. Most likely, you don't have enough teflon tape on it or it was wrapped the wrong direction.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
what's the amount of torque you need on your coolant temp sensor?
Not a lot. There is no spec because GM WP came with the sensor installed. But this is aluminum so don't tighten much. I would guess no more than 10 ft/lbs. A good pump and sensor will not leak. Tendency is keep tightening when there is a leak which can do more harm than good. Tape or sealant should do the trick on a new pump. A reman pump is a crapshot. You are dealing with a previously installed sensor of unknown tightness. My opinion: Always buy new.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
which is the correct way?
You wrap the tape in the same direction as you tighten - usually clockwise. That's looking at the threaded end as you wrap. Looking at the connector end (or the head of a bolt) it would be counterclockwise. You will get the hang of it with practice. The visible tape end should turn in the tightening direction as the fastener is tightened - that's the key. About 3 tight layers of tape is enough. Don't overdo it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts