Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP !! cooling fan conversion from mechanical to electric ??

i have a 94 rms and i have a mechanical cooling fan and a secondary electric cooling fan. ive seen some other roadmasters with no mechanical fan and 2 electric cooling fans that came stock from the factory. MY QUESTION IS if i were to go to the wreckers and get a set of electric cooling fans and wiring harness from another rms that doesnt have the mechanical fan, will i have to put in a dummy switch to run the fans or is there a wiring harness that is in every car that will just plug and play or do i have to make some splices ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The PCM will control both fans - no switch needed.

Buy this - the primary fan harness:

http://innovativewiring.com/?page_id=266

See instructions in link.

You only need one more fan, but get the shroud also. Your existing secondary fan is better (240 watts vs 100 watts) than that in a 2 fan donor car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was hoping to pull the fans from a caprice with the police package or another lt1 b-body car that has the fans from the factory and take the wiring harness to go with it. is the primary fan harness on that website roughly the same thing or is it different. and also would i have to program the pcm to accept a primary electric fan or will it just come on when its supposed to.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
i was hoping to pull the fans from a caprice with the police package or another lt1 b-body car that has the fans from the factory and take the wiring harness to go with it.
From a police package - 9C1 - is ok.
From 'another LT1 car' with two fans is NOT OK.
Only 9C1 cars have the relays outside the fusebox.
Civilian LT1 cars have the relays inside the fusebox, which leads to melted relays & fuseboxes.
is the primary fan harness on that website roughly the same thing or is it different?
It is generally considered superior to what you'd get from a junkyard car.
would i have to program the pcm to accept a primary electric fan or will it just come on when its supposed to?
Asked and answered already.
The PCM will control both fans - no switch needed.
However, it is important to remember that GM's settings for turning on the fans are pretty close to - but not quite - overheating.

Literally hundreds of people ask if their fans are working properly. They are, but you'd be wise to have your fans reprogrammed for lower turn-on temps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts