Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and recently picked up a 96 SS. Having an issue with the cooling fans. All the fuses and relays are good and both fans run when the temp sensor in the water pump is unplugged. The passenger side fan cycles on when the A/C is turned on and cools down the motor but the drivers side fan does not turn on at all. I know the drivers side fan works cause it runs with the temp sensor unplugged. The check engine light is on and may have something to do with it. Heading to Autozone this a.m. to throw a scanner on it. Do you think the drivers side fan is bad or the sensor or both? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the same problem with my 96 Impala. The pass side fan comes on when temp is up but drivers fan doesn't come on. The previous owner had a wire running from the fuse straight to the fan harness whick made it run constantly. Been killing myself trying to figure it out. Any help would be nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll look at the relays and block. I'm trying to avoid wiring it up so the fan runs constanly.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Are you actually overheating? Stock fan turn-on temps are very high, 225F primary (passenger), 232F secondary. To turn on the secondary fan, the temp guage may read 3/4 to 7/8. Also, if you have a pressure leak in your system, the coolant will boil before the fans turn on. Check that first, there's probably nothing wrong with your fans. If you prefer, the PCM can be reprogrammed to turn the fans on at lower temperatures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never actually overheated. I pressure tested the system and it bled down over a 2hr period and was still at 8lbs when I took the pressure tester off. I did install a new coolant recovery tank on monday. I didn't see any leaks or coolant on the ground after the pressure test. I'm gonna let her idle and see what happens. Just not used to seeing the temp gauge up so hi before the fans kick on. let ya know. Thank you everyone for the help!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I let her heat up and the primary fan kicked on at around 225F. The gauge was at the first hash mark past the halfway mark (maybe a little higher). I assuming that is the normal function. So does that mean the secondary fan won't kick on until the temp gauge is near the red? Just curious now sicne I've never actually seen it turn on by itself. Thanks cletus284 for the help!!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yes, under normal operation, you'll rarely see the secondary fan kick on. Usually, just the primary fan is enough to cool things down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thx cletus284! Been around Chevy's for awhile (old hot rods) and just not usd to seeing that kind of temp before any fans kick on. I always appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
... just not usd to seeing that kind of temp before any fans kick on. I always appreciate the help!
The stock program turns on the primary fan at 227°F, and the secondary fan at 234°F.

Regardless of which thermostat you're using, those temps are hot enough to prematurely age much of the plastic and rubber components under the hood.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I let her heat up and the primary fan kicked on at around 225F. The gauge was at the first hash mark past the halfway mark (maybe a little higher). I assuming that is the normal function. So does that mean the secondary fan won't kick on until the temp gauge is near the red? Just curious now sicne I've never actually seen it turn on by itself. Thanks cletus284 for the help!!
That's just about the same as mine, then it cools to a hair above the 1/2 way hash mark and the pri. fan shuts off. Mormal operation from what I've seen on mine, usually never a concern when the car is moving. I'cve never seen the sec. fan run except when I unplugged the ECT on the front of the WP to test them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts