Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The cooling system on my 96 SS works fine. No leaks, fans cycle, good heat. Gauge in normal range.

I have read, here, that the fans should come on when the temp sensor, at the bottomof the water pump is disconnected. This doe NOT occur, w/ my SS.

Why not? Is this a problem? How to "diagnose"?

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
I don't want to come across as rude but 'Search' my friend. This question has been answered a lot in the past.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
The cooling system on my 96 SS works fine. No leaks, fans cycle, good heat. Gauge in normal range.

I have read, here, that the fans should come on when the temp sensor, at the bottomof the water pump is disconnected. This doe NOT occur, w/ my SS.

Why not? Is this a problem? How to "diagnose"?
Hmm, I had not heard that before. Likewise, I would expect the opposite. If the CTS in the pump fails, then the PCM thinks the temp is -40f, or something low like that. Likewise, it goes full rich and makes it difficult to start.

Do you have a problem? Or are you just looking for something to be wrong?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car starts and runs fine and does not overheat.

HOWEVER, I often read here, when one disconnects the temp sender(on the water pump) the fans SHOULD come on.

If I have a defect (mine do NOT come on, when sender is disconnected), that has not yet manifested itself in overheating, or whatever, I want to correct it NOW.

As far as search, I suspect I would have to read an awful lot of pages, to get this answer.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
If, about 20 secs after disconnecting the CTS, both fans don't come on, you then have to test the fans and the fan circuits separately.

Try replacing the fuses and relays first. If that doesn't work (or if they blow right away), wire power directly to the fans.

Could be that the wiring itself is giving up (happened to me when I upgraded my 2ndary fan from 100W to 240W without upgrading the wiring). Gary at innovativewiring.com makes upgraded wiring for the fans (among many other things).
I could see this if the fans didn't work at all, but they are working with out unplugging the ECT sensor under normal conditions. This would indicate that the wiring is fine, in my eyes anyway.

OP- with car shut off, unplug the MAF connector and start the car, after a short while since the PCM is in speed density without he MAF plugged in the fans will kick on, do they? Just another check that you can do. It is just weird what you have going on there and I can't really comment any further as I have no idea to be honest. I could guess with the best of them if you like :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
DUH! I did not wait 20 seconds. I'll unplug and wait a bit and see what happens!

OK I waited and the fans came on.........................thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.