Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the hypertech programmer and first followed the cooling temps for a 180 degree thermostat. That seemed to kick them on a bit high (about 205) so now I am thinking about changing the settings for a 160 degree thermostat, even though I have a 180 in it. Is there any harm to doing this? I imagine that the fans will run more but don't see any real problem. I want to try to keep the gauge below the half mark. Thanks. Ben

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just answered the question...I think. Went for a good ride. Air temp is about 75 and the gauge didn't get past slightly above the second hash mark (maybe 155*). Both fans were on the entire time and the thermostat never opened (tested by squeezing the top rad hose). So I think the fans were doing the only cooling and working too hard being that they were both on constantly. I will switch the programming back to the one for 180* thermostat and change it back if and when I get a 160* thermostat.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Leadfoot. I found that out! I was a little bothered by the fans running and then also was a little concerned that the thermostat never opened so no coolant was running through the motor...?

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
I'm sure your t-stat opened. These stats throttle, if it hadn't opened, you would have still run hot. Trust me on that.

Even with the fan settings lower, you engine temps are still going to be in the 200+ range, with a 180 stat. HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts