Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need new shocks so i was looking online at napa. im seeing police only and civie models will they interchange? ive got a 94 9c1, no money, and i need shocks plus i hate the feel of the stock ones would it be wise to use civie shocks on there. seein as how they are cheaper and softer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Civi and 9C1 shocks are theorically interchangable. However, 9C1 shocks will have a longer travel to accomodate the taller springs on the cop cars.

What companies shocks are you looking at?

I would reccomend the Monroe Severe Service shocks if you are on a budget. They are designed for the 9C1's. They are quite stiff tho, and if thats what you were trying to avoid, then Civi Monroe Sensatracs should work just fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought Sensa-tracs at Advanced Auto Parts.

Not really sure where to get SS shocks, try doing a search, either on the forum, or google.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by White93ltz:
.....9C1 shocks will have a longer travel to accomodate the taller springs on the cop cars.....
:confused: Huh? :confused:

Don't know anything about a longer travel shocks.....but the 9C1 shocks = Bilstein B46-1104 (front) and B46-0929 (rear).

You can use these shocks on dropped B-bodies (I do ;) ), on SS height B-bodies (I do :cool: ) and on 9C1 Height B-bodies (I did
).

Absolutely one of the best (if not the best) shocks for our cars......

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Monroe Severe Service Shocks work well as well and they WILL Fit your car.

Try this link.
Advance Auto Parts / Parts America

The Fronts are PN.550012
The Rears are PN.550013

I have them on my 9c1 with SS Springs and my RMW with Hotchkis Springs
These are a good alternate if you can't afford the Bilstens

HTH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So ... Atre you saying that the rear shocks on a 1994 9c-1 are LONGER that what comes on say a 1994 Impala ss because the rear springs ARE longer on the 9c-1???
First time I heard of this???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Longer droop shocks aren't spec'ed there because of the springs.

They ARE spec'ed though for a 91-92 Caprice in back because of the rear wheelwells. Thus, some shocks that work fine on a 93-96 car will "work" on a 91-92 in back but you may need to disconnect the lower shock from the axle in order to change a rear tire.

Amongst others, I believe the 1104/0929 shocks are "long droop" in back for this clearance...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ED how does the QA1's compare to the Monroe Severe Shocks. There pretty good withmy GW springs and Wagon springs rear?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The roadmaster Skirt, and the 91/92 caprice skirt seams to be very close. i have had no issues with getting my 275's in the rear well, with menroe SS's. I had sensatracs on the Grey buick, and NO way will I use them again(they are a great shock), but it was just to damn mushy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for bringing this up and KW for bringing up the Bilstein information, I was just about to do some searches here as I am thinking it is time.

Yes Cory, I agree about the Sensatracs I had on my RM, they do work well for what they were intended for.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im looking at monrore sensatracs, 28 bucks advanced auto parts. these are no good? i just need the fronts?? im about to leave in like 10 mins so i guess ill find out?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i just got em today, monroe sensatracs, BUT, i went to put em on... how the hell do i get my originals off? i tried for 4 hours not even a budge. i cant figure out what combo of tools and angles i need to get inside that damn shock tower on top! sprayed the hell out of em both with pb blaster... gonna try tomorrow for about 2 minutes then im cuttin the bitches off with a dremel!!! im so fed up with this car, one thing after another.. also when i was under there i noticed the stabilizer bar links had NO bushings whatsoever, im cutting those bolts off too, tomorrow. i just picked up two sets of linkages from advanced auto parts but they look different but they dont. they just look thicker(the bolt) and the bushings look diff. but they look like they will fit. keep your fingers crossed for me, please. also any insight or tricks for me would be great! please help? :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have one, an impact wrench from the top.

If not, just cut the old shock shaft with a die grinder or hacksaw

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how would an impact wrench get it off, you have to hold the top of the bolt with one wrench and unscrew the nut with another, niether of which fit, btw. only thing i can get to fit is a damn deep well socket. im cant cut the shaft cuz of the bushing support, it will defeat the purpose. i have to cut the top, right under the nut and above the bushing, i hope, with a dremel. wish me luck, ill need it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
there is a special, shock removal tool. that holds the shaft, then a "socket" fits over it... I tried that, on 6 month old shocks and broke the tip off the post. I put an impact on it, and buzzed them right off. But since you in IL... i bet they are rusty. And rusty shocks just spin on an impact. your best bet, is too put the deep socket on the nut, put a long extensio on it, and start bending the post back and forth. I broke my pass side in 2 mins. the drivers side took about 10, due to the lack of room to move it around. It always works... and since the shocks are junk, who cares?

You WILL be disapointed with those sensatracs. Those shocks are ment for a nice ride, with predictable, acceptable manners. Not exactly what a 9C1 is... But go ahead and put them on... just don't be surprised when it floats all over.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
maybe theres a reason i couldnt get em tonight. maybe ill take em back tomorrow and get some differnet ones. im just so broke right now, this sucks! thanks. i might try the bending, but i think it would be easier to just cut em at the top. what do you think?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
KYB GR-2® Gas Shocks and Struts provide a smooth, comfortable ride with excellent control for drivers who are looking for maximum ride comfort.
Comfort and control that's often better than when the vehicle was new.
Delivers improved road feel and handling.
Patented check valve maintains performance under rough conditions.
Replaces traditional struts with gas strut performance.
...... how about these?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.