Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, will my flame blow out if I'm running a .050" gap?

I'm trying to figure out why the car is falling on it's face on the top of each gear when using the N20.... I thought maybe it was a fuel issue, but I don't think so anymore....

I should have done some research on proper plug gap before I installed the dang plugs.... Now I'm looking at another 2 hours for a plug R&R..... arg!!

BTW, I'm running AutoLite 103's @ .050" gap, with MSD coil and Mallory 685.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,
If the spark is not blowing out at the torque peak, ie. somewhere in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range when your nitrous hits, then it's probably OK at the upper revs where the cylinder pressure is much lower.
It's a possibility though if your revs are so high that coil saturation time is an issue, so I would bring the gaps down just in case.
A buddy of mine had his NX system, including plugs, installed by someone who just left the plugs at their default gap. It was running fine on the 150 shot, but when we pulled a few plugs to read them, I found the gaps between .050 and .055, so I regapped them all to .040. It made no difference as far as we can tell. He's also running the MSD box, but with a factory '93 LT1 coil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Tom,
I use the autolite 103's also gapped at .035 which seems to work perfect on the juice or off. But you must gap them between .035 and .039 like Nory said for the n2o whether it solves the problem or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Pat... You and I are Both Right... IT is also a coil issue... At the Lower RPMS where the most torque is, the coil has more of a charge to it, and that is why he doesn't have a problem untilt he higher RPMs... So don't go out and change the coil or igntion, just re gap the plugs....

A friend of mine installed an NX kit... Did everything right... And it would do the say thing your describing... I couldn't figure it out until I asked him if he had regapped the TR6 he put in... He said no... We took em out, and put in a new set of re-gapped TR6s.... No more problems....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks for the input guys.. I was hoping it would be something simple like that.... The plug gap was one thing I forgot to research. I did go with a colder plug though
, and pulled my platinums outa there too....

It won't be for another week or so, but when I do my next run I'll report in and let you guys know if that fixed the issue... If not, then I'll have to work my way down the check sheet.

By the way, this thing pulls like a MOFO! I'm sure my one pass with a 114mph would have earned me a 11 sec. slip...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well guys, changing the plug gap seems to have cured my issue with it falling on it's face.

Now I just have to figure out why my 150 shot is only acting like a 20hp shot...

I went to Muncie Raceway Friday and had only 1 half a.s.s good run. 12.60 @115, 2.15 60ft. ;) ... The other runs were high 12's and a 13 with 1.7 60ft., didn't even feel like the N20 kicked in at all.. It sure used up the bottle though.

At the end of the run though the car was PUKING antifreeze all over the friggin place.. I'm thinking that maybe my headgasket is leaking on the compression stroke.... No smell of antifreeze in the exhaust, and none in the oil. But the engine temp shot up to atleast 250.

hm.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.