Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built my entire new trunk setup, Too-bad its still uncarpeted,and sorry no pics yet ;) you'll like em when I post them I'm sure
I still need to tweak some wiring.. So, thats what i need to know:

does anybody know how to wire 3 subs @ 4ohms into one set of speakerwires. (1 + 1-) so I can bridge it to my amp.

It Was done right when i got them in the box, but then i took the subs out, and built all seperate boxes, and they arent all next to each other.

anybody have a diagram or can make a quick one for 3 subs and "just say" one "box connector"..

-thanks you stereo Freaks!! ;)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What subs you got (i.e. 2-ohm/4-ohm, dual voice coils)? What amp? :confused:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3 speakers at 4ohms a peice gives you 1.333 ohms in series. (1/[(1/4)+(1/4)+(1/4)]) You need another sub to get 1 ohm. Or get rid of one sub and you get 2ohms. If they are dual voice then that will be a different story.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The subs, when I bought them and wired them it represented a 4ohm load to the amp according to the wiring sheet.

Yes, they are DVC

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TWiG:
3 speakers at 4ohms a peice gives you 1.333 ohms in series. (1/[(1/4)+(1/4)+(1/4)]) You need another sub to get 1 ohm. Or get rid of one sub and you get 2ohms. If they are dual voice then that will be a different story.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three 4-ohm speakers in parallel give you a 1.3 load. Put them in series and you have a 12-ohm load. Two in series with each other and in parallel with a third would be what, 6 ohms?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
don't forget guy's that If you bridge you amp it will only see half of the impedance for instance if you parallel 2 8ohm woofer's you would get 4 ohms of resistance put that to the amp bridged and the amp would see 2 ohms so Zbassman has the best route
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Three 4-ohm speakers in parallel give you a 1.3 load. Put them in series and you have a 12-ohm load. Two in series with each other and in parallel with a third would be what, 6 ohms?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The final that the amp would see would be 3ohms IF your amp is only rated at 2ohms bridged this is your safest bet
later
Donnie

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, i meant parallel and 2 in series and 1 in parallel give 2.66 Ohms not 6. A good way to figure a rough estimate is that the final ohms will always be lower then the smallest ohm load when involving parallel (so 8 & 4 thus less then 4).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only 3 speaker setup I know of are the JL 6 ohm series. You still need to get rid of or add a speaker. Most amps do not like the strange ohm loads and can run hot.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes they are 4ohm Dual Voice coils (old fosgate 10"s) with a kenwood 600W amp. ( i know, not the greatest for sound quality :( )
LOL greg, i took the subs out, to measure the box for Cu-area, and to measure the depth for the box, and So i totaly got confused with the wires in the box so i kinda confused myself pretty bad...

you guys REALLY have me confused, so your saying go 2 ohm even though there 4ohm subs?

I wish i never undid the wiring, it sounded badass before, :rolleyes:

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TWiG:
Sorry, i meant parallel and 2 in series and 1 in parallel give 2.66 Ohms not 6. A good way to figure a rough estimate is that the final ohms will always be lower then the smallest ohm load when involving parallel (so 8 & 4 thus less then 4).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, so 8 in parallel with 4 would be okay for an amp rated stable at 2. Good catch. (It's been looooong time since my electronics degree.)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the amp 1 ohm stable or 2 ohm stable when bridged? This is important.

Below 1 OHm Stable - Put all speakers in parallel giving .6666 load

1 Ohm stable - put the 4ohm DVC in parallel giving a 2ohm load. Put the 2 speakers in series and then parallel with last sub giving 1.333

2 ohm stable - put the 4ohm DVC in series giving a 8ohm load. Put the 3 speakers in parallel giving 2.666

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I think there the 97 series: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/library/1997/5_Subwoofers/RFP-1210-TS.pdf

Dual 4 ohm.

When I got the setup from Crutchfield, they had a wiring sheet. It kinda confused me, and honestly still does. I think they were wired to show a 2.667ohm load. Verified with a multimeter. This scared me, and the sheet said it would/should. It also said that it'd still represent a 4ohm load to the amp though. I ran the box with my old RF 200.2 amp thats only rated stable at 4ohms for quite a while. It obviously worked with Jons 4ohm stable amp too.

I'll crawl around the attic at my parents house when I get over there. I think I kept one of the cardboard sub 'boxes' and tossed all the info in there.

Good job Jon
It took me a looooong time to get those wired up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts