Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am doing an LT1 swap into my car.
The Caretaker has a theory that we could use a mechanical fan assembly from a (94-96) Caprice, with an LT1, with a tow package.

The problem is,

I don't even know what that looks like or how it attaches to the motor. The water pump of an LT1 with electrical fans does not seem to have space for a fan.

I would appreciate it to no end if one of you were to snap a few pictures of your assembly and how it fits for me.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
The LT1 Clutch fan takes the place of the passenger side electric fan. Factory claims that it lowers the LT1 horsepower rating from 260hp to 250hp. Here's the exploded factory parts view:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
With all due respect, unless a mech fan is absolutely necessary for heavy-duty towing or bracket racing, you &or The Caretaker should use a pair of electrical fans.

Civilian LT1 Caprices, 2.93 Roadmasters, and Fleetwoods with 2.93 or 3.42 came with mech fans. Nearly every single one should have electrical fans instead.
Luckily, cars with less room underhood simply can't fit one, otherwise I'm sure someone would've tried, what with the people here who refuse to delete them.

As Brick B-Body already stated, the mech fan is worth -10 horse.
I cannot confirm that may also cost an MpG or 2.
Jus sayin …

1 - 3 of 3 Posts