Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my 96 ss to mechanic to install new starter and he also cleared the PASS KEY light from the dash by reconnecting a wire that was not hooked up to the computer. The dash light is gone and the starter works great, but now my courtesy lights will not shut off unless I remove the number 35 fuse. But this also kills my power locks. I started searching for a replacement switch, but I am not sure which one I should be looking for.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Test your door jamb switches by pressing each one with the the key out of the he ignition, one at a time to see if the lights turn off. If thats not the problem then the green chime box might be your problem. Try to find an extra one to change it and test it out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So when the fuse is installed the map lights, dome light and door light all stay on. I remove and reinstalled the chime box, but it seems to be working properly. I also checked all of the door switches which seem to be fine. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as you had described above. Took the key out, closed all the doors and tested each one individually to push the jamb button down to see if it turned the light off. All of the lights stayed on when fuse is installed.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Have an extra chime module I'd be willing to part with for $30 all fees,and shipping included.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it's worth a shot to try a new one. But it seems to be doing it's job otherwise. Is there anything else on that circuit that may be at fault?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a wiring diagram and it looks like there is a interior light relay. I am going to try and replace that.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a wiring diagram and it looks like there is a interior light relay. I am going to try and replace that.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Let me know if you want the green module...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Is there anything else on that circuit that may be at fault?
We have all assumed that the gauge lights dimming dial has not been set to turn on the courtesy lights. Or that it has malfunctioned. You could unplug the headlight switch to check.

If you unbolt each door switch carefully you might find one with out a wire attached. If you do not do this slowly and carefully you may pull off a wire connector. A unattached wire that grounds to the body turns on the lights or you might find a bad switch.

It would be very weird for a relay to stick on. If you check you will probably find the coil has power and the relay is working. You might hear the relay click off when you unplug it with the power on.

You could check to see if the switches are grounding the green module. (dark blue/white wire on a11 of the socket) If the switches are not grounding the green module and it is powering the relay the problem is the green module or it's wiring to the relay.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have all assumed that the gauge lights dimming dial has not been set to turn on the courtesy lights. Or that it has malfunctioned. You could unplug the headlight switch to check.

If you unbolt each door switch carefully you might find one with out a wire attached. If you do not do this slowly and carefully you may pull off a wire connector. A unattached wire that grounds to the body turns on the lights or you might find a bad switch.

It would be very weird for a relay to stick on. If you check you will probably find the coil has power and the relay is working. You might hear the relay click off when you unplug it with the power on.

You could check to see if the switches are grounding the green module. (dark blue/white wire on a11 of the socket) If the switches are not grounding the green module and it is powering the relay the problem is the green module or it's wiring to the relay.
The dimming dial is in the correct position. Please explain hot to check the functionality of the dimmer switch. I do not understand how unplugging the headlight switch will help me narrow it down.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
There are five switches that can signal the module to activate the relay. One is the dimming switch, the other four are the door switches. I would unscrew the door switches first and make sure the door switches or their connections are not the problem first. Second would be to unplug the dimmer switch. If I was putting time in on this I would use the wiring diagram to see IF the switches are grounding the module. If with the doors closed and the dimmer not forcing the lights on there is a ground signal to the module you have a wiring or switch problem. If the module is not getting the ground signal But still powers the relay you have a module problem. Any test you need to make can be done with a dollar store 12 volt test light and some wire. These modules can fail but so can the wire connecting to the door switch after 25 years of flexing.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now the chime box rings non stop. So I would say that it is defective. I will try a replacement.

·
Registered
1996 ImpalaSS WX3
437 Posts
Yes

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
My 96 WX3 chimes when the doors are open, or the lights are on, even without the key in the ignition.
My 96 WX3 chimes when the doors are open, or the lights are on, even without the key in the ignition.
Just an FYI...

1 - 19 of 18 Posts