Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i pulled my car up on the ramps to do an oil change and i noticed my radiator was spraying coolant.

Here's a picture of the crack on the right side of the radiator
Reference Pic

And here's a closer shot

The cracked plastic piece is #6 in the below diagram

So from what you can see, how bad is the damage? Can that tank be replaced or am i gonna need a whole new radiator?
I'm learning about this car as stuff breaks so feel free to school me.

TIA,
Francis

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Too much of a hassle to just change the tank. I had the same problem and I just changed the radiator. It was simple enough.

·
Registered
581 Posts
+1 on just change the radiator. The various cross tubes get clogged up, so unless you have the radiator pulled apart and rodded out to get all the crud out plus new side tanks looking about about the cost of a replacement radiator. Be sure to flush out the engine and heater core while you are at it. May even want to consider removing the knock sensors to drain the block that way you can have fresh radiator fluid in the whole engine, but I will leave that one up to you.

For a temporary quick fix most auto parts sell radiator repair stuff that you spread on, will get you from point A to point B but I wouldn't run with it for an extended period of time. - Peter

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Yup. Get a new radiator if you can. 1st the tanks, 2nd, The radiator blows out.... Bye bye New tank $$. Try to get a North American radiator, a lot are china these days. Don't support their economy!

You can take the tanks off....When you bring the radiator to a metal scrap place to make a few bucks. :D CLEAN aluminum price. With the tanks? Not the case.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
I use to pay about $55 to get the tank replaced along with getting the radiator cleaned out. Then my buddy was able to get me a new radiator for $63 so less hassle closer and only one trip.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The '96 radiators are thinner than the earlier units. If your car is '96 I would ask for '95 radiator.

Good luck,

Jose Rodriguez

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took your advice and just ordered a unit.
Brand new CRS radiator from 1-800 Radiator arrived this afternoon. I'm gonna tear into the car soon but i got a couple questions.
What did you guys use to plug the hardlines to the coolers?
Are there seals on these fittings? Part #4 on the exploded diagram, compnine doesn't list the part.:confused:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Took your advice and just ordered a unit.
Brand new CRS radiator from 1-800 Radiator arrived this afternoon. I'm gonna tear into the car soon but i got a couple questions.
What did you guys use to plug the hardlines to the coolers?
Are there seals on these fittings? Part #4 on the exploded diagram, compnine doesn't list the part.:confused:
That #4 is inside the tanks. I didn't plug my lines but I did tape them up. You could probably use vacuum rubber plugs from the HELP! section if you wanted to.But then again I have an oil cooler so I only had to cover the trans lines which didn't spill any fluid.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New radiator is in!

Old busted crap

New hotness.

Swapped em in my driveway yesterday and took the opportunity to flush the system. Honestly, i had a harder time getting off the passenger side knock sensor than i did removing the radiator.
Thanks for the help fellas:cool:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
New radiator is in!

Old busted crap

New hotness.

Swapped em in my driveway yesterday and took the opportunity to flush the system. Honestly, i had a harder time getting off the passenger side knock sensor than i did removing the radiator.
Thanks for the help fellas:cool:
Kudos for removing the knock sensors. That is the proper way, but seems to be rarely done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts