Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this "ready to go" tool for only $19.99 and free Ship....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-LT-Harmonic-Balancer-Install-Tool-LS1-LT1-Installation-Crankshaft-Pulley/132959475352?epid=2077061565&hash=item1ef5009698:g:S9AAAOSwncFb2LTt:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!19320!US!-1:rk:13:pf:0

Sure you may be able to piece it together yourself, but why? No need to go to the HW Store and Schlep around looking for all thread (Probably won't find Grade 8.8 anyway) and other stuff. If I did not already piece 1 together, I would certainly go this route.

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
…..if you read the description it says...

"not compatible with Gen 2 LT1 (92-97)"

While I do have the Kent Moore tool for the LT1, I have purchased All Thread, thrust bearing, large flat washers and nut from Fastenal (local to me) for less than $19 for my Ford

The key is the thrust bearing. HD, etc., has them also

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
…..if you read the description it says...

"not compatible with Gen 2 LT1 (92-97)"

While I do have the Kent Moore tool for the LT1, I have purchased All Thread, thrust bearing, large flat washers and nut from Fastenal (local to me) for less than $19 for my Ford

The key is the thrust bearing. HD, etc., has them also
"Well SShyt!!"...guess I missed just a minor detail there. :nerd:

It does look like they offer kits for different motors. Maybe they have a kit or could make one up for the Gen 2 motor? They're obviously familiar with the Gen2, I'll reach out and see what they say.

Edit - I agree about the thrust washer. When using the All Thread tool I made up, the "greased" flat washer setup didn't quite cut it. I got a lot of resistance using just Flat Washers when the Hub got close but was not fully on the Crank. I switched to a thrust Washer from my SBC kit and the Hub went the rest of the way on a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
It gets better,

"Package includes: 1 (grade 8.8) threaded stud,"

Grade 8.8 is misleading.

SAE grade 8 is 150,000 psi

Metric CLASS 8.8 is roughly 120,000 psi, same as a SAE grade 5 bolt.

A 10.9 metric bolt is similar spec as a grade 8 SAE

They are selling a piece of **%%*&^ ready rod, nut and a couple washers.

I wouldn't touch anything from a seller that said grade and 8.8 in the same sentence

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this was a non starter and sorry for the confusion. Looks like we're still making our own. Their response to a possible Gen 2 Tool....

Hello,
Unfortunately this is the only install tool we offer at this time. It will not work with Gen 2 engines, and we do not carry the material to manufacture pieces for Gen 2 motors. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thank you! Joel

·
Registered
378 Posts
I got a piece of B7 7/16 x 20 threaded rod from McMaster Carr along with a couple nuts and a thrust bearing. Cut threaded rod to about 7", double nut and thread into crank, insert hub, install large washer on end of hub, thrust bearing, lube threaded rod, install nut. Push hub on to crank.

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts