Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the difference is between a 96 Impala crank hub versus a 97 Firebird crank hub? I've looked up both parts online and I'd be sure they are different somehow because the part numbers are different (96 Impala is 12550098 and the 97 Firebird is 12550097).

I'm hitting the wrecking yard in 3 hours and need to know quickly if I should grab the Firebird hub while I'm there.

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
Does anyone know what the difference is between a 96 Impala crank hub versus a 97 Firebird crank hub? I've looked up both parts online and I'd be sure they are different somehow because the part numbers are different (96 Impala is 12550098 and the 97 Firebird is 12550097).

I'm hitting the wrecking yard in 3 hours and need to know quickly if I should grab the Firebird hub while I'm there.

You were there 3 hours ago and probably learned already the "F" hub is much shorter

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You were there 3 hours ago and probably learned already the "F" hub is much shorter
I spent some time before I hit the wrecking yard comparing part numbers and once I discovered that the balancer was the same between the "B" body "D" body and the "F" body I quickly assumed that the difference in the hub was going to be the location for locating the balancer. I ended up grabbing the timing cover, reluctor wheel and crank hub and they only charged me for the timing cover which with tax was only $21.45.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You can have your 94/95 hub machined down to correct length.
Just have it shaved the thickness of the reluctor ring.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car is a 96, I'm just gathering the few of the 96 specific parts to start building a replacement engine. I'm also not entirely sure it's possible to just machine the hub of a pre 96 engine because of it's design where the crank bolt seats against.

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
My car is a 96, I'm just gathering the few of the 96 specific parts to start building a replacement engine. I'm also not entirely sure it's possible to just machine the hub of a pre 96 engine because of it's design where the crank bolt seats against.
I can't put my hands on them right now (home reno has everything misplaced) but am 99.9% sure babywag is correct.
The extra length of the 94-95 is on the crank end so if you cut it to 96 dimension, you still have enough depth for the crank to washer because the reluctor adds it back.
I studied these pretty carefully when I was making my front mount reduction pulley setups

·
Registered
976 Posts
The 94/95 b-body hub would be machined @ reluctor side.
As you now know if you want direct no hassle it’s b-body ‘96 only.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have a stock 1996 b-body LT1 hub that I can sell you. $20 plus shipping?

·
Registered
584 Posts
As I could not attach to a PM, I have included photos of the hub that I have.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts