Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to remove timing cover and can't get the crank snout off!
The harmonic balancer came off fine - but I striped the center rod of the puller I rented and the snout didn't budge.

I've removed the center bolt and I had to get longer 7/16 bolts to mate up the puller to the snout as the ones in the kit were too short (haynes manual also suggested that). I've threaded a headless bolt into the center of the snout as a contact point for the center rod of the puller.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - Dave

· Registered
1,257 Posts
I forget if the bolt in the center is supposed to be threaded in or not when pulling. If its not moving, it might just be pulling against itself.

· Registered
1,257 Posts

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice write-up

Thanks that write w/ pics is nice.- I thought that's what I had done by cutting the head of the bolt of - but it still had the threads on - so will try again with a new bolt - head left on and threads ground down. - Thanks.

Thanks that worked

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting snout back on ...

so what's the best way to get the snout (part that the damper mounts to) back on the crank?

· Registered
701 Posts
I probably do it wrong somehow, but i always just use a lil longer bolt to get it started on, then just use the connecting bolt to pull it the rest of the way onto the crank. I also run a couple of the outer balancer bolts into the hub so a large screwdriver can be used to help hold the crank still.

· Premium Member
1,359 Posts
so what's the best way to get the snout (part that the damper mounts to) back on the crank?
It has to be pressed back onto the crank with a hub installer. When doing this, you will thread into the center bolt hole and press the hub back onto the crank.

· Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Originally from Gerry (95Wagon):

As for install get yourself a piece of quality-threaded rod. Turn it fully into the crank then put a plate across the front of the hub. Next a stack of greased washers (I use an actual bearing) followed by a nut. By doing it this way the threads in the crank are not in a position to be damaged because all the winding-cranking is going on between the nut and threaded rod.
The threaded rod should be 7/16 -20.

Works like a charm and inexpensive.

· Registered
373 Posts
I'll second (third?) the procedure that Erik quoted from Gerry. It's exactly what I use. Just a few bucks worth of hardware. My setup is slightly different in that I use a 1/2" drive socket along with the stack of greased washers. Easy as pie.

· Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I don't know why, but Gerry's post that was quoted does NOT show up in this thread for me, so I cant see it. My harmonic balancer puller kit came with an installer as well, so I didn;t need to fabricate one. But it is essentially what Gerry described (as quoted by Erik). It is basically a threaded rod to go into the center hole of the crank, with a large thick flat washer to go over the hub opening, and a bearing between the washer and nut to reduce friction when pressing it on via turning the nut with a wrench.

The threaded rod should work fine as long as you can reduce the friction between the washer over the hub opening and the nut.

· Premium Member
6,395 Posts
I don't know why, but Gerry's post that was quoted does NOT show up in this thread for me, so I cant see it.
That's because I didn't quote a post. I put quote tags around text I had saved from several years back. It's the real deal, though. I'm just giving appropriate credit for the technique (which I've used several times to great effect).

· Premium Member
1,359 Posts
That's because I didn't quote a post. I put quote tags around text I had saved from several years back. It's the real deal, though. I'm just giving appropriate credit for the technique (which I've used several times to great effect).
OK, now I feel better. ;)

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That did the trick- thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.