Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in law told me that he was paying $4400 for a "Pod" filled with furniture to be shipped from Georgia to Oregon. I told him "ridiculous! I'll do it for less."

My wagon is 94 Caprice with the tow package. So I'm going to rent a 6'X12' UHaul trailer, fill it up (its a lot of furniture!) and drive across the country with my 7 yr old son. My plan is drive like as far as I possibly can each day going out there and take a few site-seeing stops on the way back. I'll post pics when its loaded up, I expect I'll head out in a few weeks.

I ditched the mechanical fan-think I'll need it? load will be 4000 lbs I'm guessing.

Any need to upgrade the tranny cooler? Car has 108K and I'd like the tranny to live a while longer. suspension is stock with new KYB shocks in front and Gabriel air ride in back, new brakes front and rear. All maintenance is up to date-any other ideas?

How many miles do you think I can travel in a day puling this load?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Wow being paid to take a road trip with the kid. sounds excellent. have fun.

If you post your expected route I would think some members may PM you contact info for emergency purposes. Where is start and finish distinations?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I don't think there is any mileage cap on how far you can drive.

I would say you can drive as far and has long as your body will allow. I've driven 16 hours a day in a Roadmatser towing a trailer, and ran my Caprice for 32 hours strait driving to Colorado.

The only issue you may have is with the electric fans going through the mountains. I remember overheating once in the Roadmaster driving through the Rockies, and again near Las Vegas. And we had the mechanical fan.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The country is cooling off now so that will take some of the overheating issues out of the puzzle. Our mountains here in the west (Rockies) may be a little hard to climb but if you are not pushing it then you should be fine. 600-800 miles a day depending on how well you hold up. I've done from Albuquerque (no load) to Alabama in a day plus Albuquerque to Seattle in a day but won't ever do that again. You planning to go thru Denver?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
with a 7 year old, I'd say 8-9 hours a day is all you'll get him to do (unless he's napping).
That's the voice of experience.

Drive with the overdrive locked out once you hit 3 dimensional scenery or you will be buying a new trans, that's for sure (voice of experience again but I wasn't driving, I knew better).

If you do about 8-9 hours a day you can do it in 5 to 6 days. Staying on the interstates the grades are usually less steep than highways.

Yes, do plot your route, I'm sure you'll be able to meet a few from the forum, if even for a half hour stop to stretch your legs.

We are everywhere lurking about, lol.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My brother in law told me that he was paying $4400 for a "Pod" filled with furniture to be shipped from Georgia to Oregon. I told him "ridiculous! I'll do it for less."

My wagon is 94 Caprice with the tow package. So I'm going to rent a 6'X12' UHaul trailer, fill it up (its a lot of furniture!) and drive across the country with my 7 yr old son. My plan is drive like as far as I possibly can each day going out there and take a few site-seeing stops on the way back. I'll post pics when its loaded up, I expect I'll head out in a few weeks.

I ditched the mechanical fan-think I'll need it? load will be 4000 lbs I'm guessing.

Any need to upgrade the tranny cooler? Car has 108K and I'd like the tranny to live a while longer. suspension is stock with new KYB shocks in front and Gabriel air ride in back, new brakes front and rear. All maintenance is up to date-any other ideas?

How many miles do you think I can travel in a day puling this load?
Back in october of 97, I pulled a 5000lb trailer with a stock 94 impala ss from Massachussetts to North Carolina. No tow package, just a class three hitch. It towed fine, no problems. I never went over 55 mph.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds like an adventure for sure. Just make sure you check out the trailer U-Haul gives you, make sure it's in good shape. You don't want to be towing one of thier ancient pieces of junk for 2,600 plus miles. I took a road trip when I was 7, we went from NY state to NC. I had a blast! I agree with one of the other posts, 8 hours a day in a car would be tops for a 7 year old. Hey, make sure you take lots of pictures!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trip is complete, about 6000 miles total, covered in 8 days. My trailer weighed about 3900 lbs and I got an average of 12 mpg pulling it out there and then averaged 20 mpg coming back sans trailer.

Car drove great, two break downs on first day, one bad O2 sensor that caused it to go way rich and get 10 mpg average on flat ground-should have been 14 mpg and then alternator went out about 200 miles later. Both parts changed in autozone parking lots in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Trip is complete, about 6000 miles total, covered in 8 days. My trailer weighed about 3900 lbs and I got an average of 12 mpg pulling it out there and then averaged 20 mpg coming back sans trailer.

Car drove great, two break downs on first day, one bad O2 sensor that caused it to go way rich and get 10 mpg average on flat ground-should have been 14 mpg and then alternator went out about 200 miles later. Both parts changed in autozone parking lots in just a few minutes.
Thats not that bad at all, at least it was easy stuff. I would have feared for the 4l60e failing.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
You took a cross country trip with a 7 year old and you have so little "stuff" in the wagon? He may not realize it now, but he will remember this trip and look back on this adventure when he is older with great appreciation.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
You took a cross country trip with a 7 year old and you have so little "stuff" in the wagon? He may not realize it now, but he will remember this trip and look back on this adventure when he is older with great appreciation.
gee i hope my son does that for all the cross country trips we have taken in the impala,going to the nats ect.maybe when they have kids huh?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Way cool! I hope me and my daughter can do something like that at some point. Did he have fun?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We had a great time and the only rough patch is ironically, camping in the back of the wagon. We were in rocky Mnt National Park, 8100 ft and 30 degrees (Oct 10), we built a fire, i drank a couple of beers (found out later a "no-no" in national parks) cooked hotdogs and then went to bed at 8:30 pm.

My son woke up at 10:30 pm screaming that he had an ear infection and refused to listen to my advice that he hold his nose and blow air through his ears (i suspected that it was the altitude) and after we had a fight about this with him finally doing what i told him and solving the problem.

He then said that he was "cold" and I could feel him shivering, (its 40 degrees in the car at this point-and getting colder) I turned on the flashlight to discover him sleeping outside his sleeping bag and I told him: "Of course you're cold! You're not in your sleeping bag! Get in your f**kin sleeping bag!" (I was tired a bit delirious myself). He didn't listen AGAIN but at that point i had reached an enraged zen like state (all the parents will understand) and I said simply: "Will, if you want to survive the night you'll get in your sleeping bag."

He got in and went to sleep and then i woke up at 1:30 am freezing and thought "what am I gonna do, I have 4 more hrs to sleep." and then I remembered that i was in car and could simply crank it up, turn on the heat and drive away-which i did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.