Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local P-n-P yesterday to pickup a new drivers seatbelt. Found a nice one off a 92 9C1/LO5.

After work, I drove to AutoZone to pick up a T47 Torx bit, remove the old one and *attempt* to change it out...

Bolted the new seatbelt in place to find out that the bolt in the floor was stripped!

I purchased a 3/8" bolt (Stock is 1/2" OR metric?) and fought it for about 2 hours! FINALLY, had enough room to squeeze my fingers between the frame and body to attach a nut to the bottom of the bolt...

MY QUESTION:

Is is safe? (Yes, I know, the larger the bolt, the more strength.)

This weekend, I would like to replace it with a Grade-8 bolt... (Limited selection at AZ)

Any suggestions?

Safety first!

· Registered
11,632 Posts
I have never heard of the threads in the floor being stripped out. Did you use the original bolt that you removed from your car to attach the replacement belt? I believe you should be using a t50 for that application (I use a t50).

My best guess is that you should have a replacement threaded part welded in the floor, if what you say is so. Your airbag will cover you safety-wise, and the mere presense of the seatbelt will keep you from getting a ticket.

· Registered
317 Posts
how are you gonna get that nut tight with just your fingers? you definately need to get it rethreaded. safety is definately the key here so if you dont have a tap, or dont know how to use one definately spend the little extra money it takes to do it right. t 47 is the proper star key fitting.

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never heard of the threads in the floor being stripped out. Did you use the original bolt that you removed from your car to attach the replacement belt? I believe you should be using a t50 for that application (I use a t50).

My best guess is that you should have a replacement threaded part welded in the floor, if what you say is so. Your airbag will cover you safety-wise, and the mere presense of the seatbelt will keep you from getting a ticket.
Yes. I used the original bolt from MY car, not the parts car.

Mine takes a T47.

I don't have the time or resources to have a new 'section' welded in, right now...

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how are you gonna get that nut tight with just your fingers? you definately need to get it rethreaded. safety is definately the key here so if you dont have a tap, or dont know how to use one definately spend the little extra money it takes to do it right. t 47 is the proper star key fitting.
Well, I got it threaded, and just kept tension by pulling up on the bolt, got it finger tight THEN 'cranked-down' on it a little. Tightened right up... No problem.

I don't own a tap/die set, but I do know how to use them properly.

Everything *seems* to be OK. I'll probably do what you said, get it tapped out, and install a new bolt.

· Registered
11,632 Posts
You can not retap the hole for the original threads. The only other option is to get a kit like the one used for repairing threads for spark plugs, only with the appropriate threads for the seatbelt bolts.

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can not retap the hole for the original threads. The only other option is to get a kit like the one used for repairing threads for spark plugs, only with the appropriate threads for the seatbelt bolts.
I copy.

I picked up a 7/16" Grade-8 bolt.
Going to replace the 3/8" Grade-5 bolt.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.