Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a few posts about using the 21mm CV bar on the rear of the B platform wagons.
Had a couple questions..
Has anyone used them on just 4 door sedan body?
I have a 85 Lesabre Limited Collectors Edition.
Current set up in suspenion..
PST poly bushings up front, complete rebuild with Moog Chassis parts, 90s Impala SS/ 9C1 front swaybar and PST poly swaybar bushings , swaybar stiffner, UMI steel tierod sleeves.
Streert Trends 90s Impala SS springs in all 4 corners, Bilsteins in all 4 corners.
Out back upper and lowere UMI trailing Arms, Dick Miller Triangulation bars.
And a 90s Impala SS/ 9C1 rear sway bar.
Knowing that set up...
Will one benefit more to the CV rear bar and how it attaches to the frame and axle VS our current designs LCA to LCA?
Seen that SpeedTech makes the Frame mount kind but you have to buy the whole rear suspension package.
Also did I read somewhere that it was just a GM Abody kit with different frame mounts?
My Lesabre will eventually have a Buick 455 between the frame rails and a 94 RM sedan 8.5 rear with 3.73 gears out back.
Would love to hit a couple Auto crosses or some tight curvey roads with it, occasionally a pass down the track.
Leave as is ? Benefit all with the CV style and design, or upgrade to the bigger bars like Speedtechs?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I am not qualified to argue which system is better but from a practical point I see only one choice.

As you point out the B body bar goes from LTA to LTA. I can see how you could adjust this system by placing a block on the LTA and then trying various mount height positions to get the correct torque from the bar.

For ease of adjustment the mount to frame provides many more adjustment possibility. You can fabricate the frame mount position AND change the length of the links to the bar. I would think this would make it easier to "tune in" the amount of sway bar force you need.

Would love to hit a couple Auto crosses or some tight curvey roads with it, occasionally a pass down the track.

All suspension systems are compromises you have to pick your priority.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts