Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I unplugged my first from the throttle blade. THen said screw it an unbolted it completly.

I have a 92 capi wagon, so IDK how yours will be.

stupid long bolts under the fender 3 of them I belive held mine on.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
You could repair it. It makes driving on long trips a lot less tiring. The parts are cheap at the JY. It may just be your brake switch is worn, or is not adjusted correctly. I just replaced my brake switch, and the CC did not work...adjusted the switch and it now works great. About $20 new...less at the JY. You can check it with a VOM the rearmost contacts are the ones that disconnect the CC. If they are not making contact when the brakes are off, the CC won't work. The total system from a PNP JY should cost you about $20-30

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dont mean to thread jack but im just wondering on the 93 caprice is the speedo controlled through the cruise control system. Or do the VSS's have nothing to do with the cruise control. Im asking because my speedo does not owrk and there are two white plugs unpluged from the cruise control box.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I dont mean to thread jack but im just wondering on the 93 caprice is the speedo controlled through the cruise control system. Or do the VSS's have nothing to do with the cruise control. Im asking because my speedo does not owrk and there are two white plugs unpluged from the cruise control box.
The VSS controls the speedo, and the same signal is what the CC latches onto to maintain the speed. You may have a problem with the wiring from the VSS. The VSS acts like a generator, and give you a pulsed voltage. You could put the rear on blocks and check for output voltage from the VSS at the cluster. If you have voltage at the cluster, you have a bad speedo. If not it could be the VSS or the wiring. You can check the wire for continuity (brown wire). The signal also goes to the ECM (tan wire).

If the speedo is not functioning, you can replace the circuit board without changing the other internals. There are some small screws on the back, and it slides over some pins.

The VSS is easy to replace too, make sure you have the right one (there are 2 types), and the same size driven gear that is on you current one. They are color coded.

Those are all the parts in the speedo system.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The VSS controls the speedo, and the same signal is what the CC latches onto to maintain the speed. You may have a problem with the wiring from the VSS. The VSS acts like a generator, and give you a pulsed voltage. You could put the rear on blocks and check for output voltage from the VSS at the cluster. If you have voltage at the cluster, you have a bad speedo. If not it could be the VSS or the wiring. You can check the wire for continuity (brown wire). The signal also goes to the ECM (tan wire).

If the speedo is not functioning, you can replace the circuit board without changing the other internals. There are some small screws on the back, and it slides over some pins.

The VSS is easy to replace too, make sure you have the right one (there are 2 types), and the same size driven gear that is on you current one. They are color coded.

Those are all the parts in the speedo system.
Lots of info! Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts