Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
mi cruise control stopt working ,and i already checked the fuse changed the trans speed sensor checked for damaged cables at the module,checked the module motor and looks perfect unless the electronic part is bad i dont know how to check that . the 3rd brake light is working perfect and the cruise and turn signal switch works good too.
question : is there a relay anywhere cause i can find no relay for it , and is there more than one fuse cause i only fount fuse # 16 on the fuse box inside the car .
does anybody have any idea of what else i can check before i have to go find a new module.
thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts
There are two brake pedal switches. One is for brake lights, the other to disable the cruise. The one that disables the cruise has brn/wht wire that is HOT in RUN and a brn wire that is HOT until the brakes are pressed. This brn wire connects to the cruise module terminal D (some modules may have it to G) Use a test light to see if you have power to it (at the module) (Key in RUN) and have someone press the brakes and see if power goes off. The Module must "see" a change in voltage before cruise will work as a safety feature that ensures pressing the brake pedal will disengage the cruise.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Your brake switch may be malfunctioning.

64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are two brake pedal switches. One is for brake lights, the other to disable the cruise. The one that disables the cruise has brn/wht wire that is HOT in RUN and a brn wire that is HOT until the brakes are pressed. This brn wire connects to the cruise module terminal D (some modules may have it to G) Use a test light to see if you have power to it (at the module) (Key in RUN) and have someone press the brakes and see if power goes off. The Module must "see" a change in voltage before cruise will work as a safety feature that ensures pressing the brake pedal will disengage the cruise.
thanks
you know ,i just found that switch is right on top of the brake switch and i pushed the plug in and it made a click sound i think that the plug was a little loose i will try to see if it works latter on tonight cause there is too much trafic right now.

64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks
you know ,i just found that switch is right on top of the brake switch and i pushed the plug in and it made a click sound i think that the plug was a little loose i will try to see if it works latter on tonight cause there is too much trafic right now.
no still don't work and all the switches are working

64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the brown at terminal d goes off with the brake and the yelow i think is the brake switch goes on with the brake, is that how is sopost to be.

here is what i know that is doing at the 8 cables at the module.

yelow brake light switch - on with brake
brown on terminal (D) cruise release switch - off with brake
Gray on off hand switch- is working
drk blue cruise speed set hand switch- is working
Green hand accelerator switch - is working
Black/white ground - is working
now
Dark Brown - i don't know whats for but it has power with key on
Green/white - i don't know whats for but it also has some power with key on

·
Registered
565 Posts
the brown at terminal d goes off with the brake and the yelow i think is the brake switch goes on with the brake, is that how is sopost to be.

here is what i know that is doing at the 8 cables at the module.

yelow brake light switch - on with brake
brown on terminal (D) cruise release switch - off with brake
Gray on off hand switch- is working
drk blue cruise speed set hand switch- is working
Green hand accelerator switch - is working
Black/white ground - is working
now
Dark Brown - i don't know whats for but it has power with key on
Green/white - i don't know whats for but it also has some power with key on
RE brake switches, Yes thats how they are supposed to work

RE Module wires, some of your colors are different from FSM so give each a location Letter

·
Administrator
6,195 Posts
Follow the flow/trouble chart in the FSM. It gives you the test for each wire at the connector that goes into the cruise module. This will let you determine exactly what the problem is. On my 94, wire A was not working from the switch. Probably broken in the column. So, we cut into D for power and spliced it in. Cruise is always "ON" now, but the brake still releases voltage. Since A doesn't work, no resume feature.

64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
RE brake switches, Yes thats how they are supposed to work

RE Module wires, some of your colors are different from FSM so give each a location Letter
how do the leters go the bottom from right to left and the top from right to left.
like this for example:

top - J I H G F
bottom-E D C B A

cause i don't have the oem book i only have the Hayne book and it does not have much info and the cables colors are also different.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you look at the connector from the side the wires go in:

Top K J H G F
Bottom A B C D E

Letter "I" is not used.

A GRY
B DK BLU
C DK GRN
D BRN
E BLK/WHT
F BRN
G WHT
H empty
J WHT
K DK GRN/WHT

64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
problem fixed

done
the problem was the electronic plate inside the cruise control. i got one plate fron the junk yard for $10 buck from a 95 and up blazer cruise control not shure the year the electronic plate was a little different but is working perfect .

i also tried a plate from a 1993 caprice that was different and it also worked.

my car is a 96 and here is the cable colors and what they do in case someone needs the info
the colors might change but the letter is the same .

Top K J H G F
Bottom A B C D E
--------With the ignition on --------
A black/white ground - test for ground
b Brown -----------top cruise brake switch always power and goes off when you hit brakes
c Green ------------- When you acelerate with the hand switch it gets power
D Blue ------------- gets power when you hit the cruise hand bottom to set speed.
E Gray ------------- gets power when you turn the cruise on
--------
K Brown------------- always power
J Yellow-------------Cruse brake switch no power gets power when you hit the brakes
H -------------------Not Used
G -------------------Not Used
F Green/White------- Always power

The cables color and the electonic plate inside the cruise control box might ne diferent but the all might work similar , so i gess just fallow the cables letters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.