Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time in 23 years when I tried to engage the cruise it didn’t work. I have only checked the fuse which is good. Maybe the switch on the stalk just wore out? What are the usual suspects when this happens?

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
cruise control in-op

FYI-A burned out tail light bulb or CHMSL will keep the cruise from engaging.

Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI-A burned out tail light bulb or CHMSL will keep the cruise from engaging.

Jim
Just checked and they are all working.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Unplug underhood,and spray pins with contact cleaner,and/or WD-40... After messing with the connector some,mine started working again,and has ever since...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unplug underhood,and spray pins with contact cleaner,and/or WD-40... After messing with the connector some,mine started working again,and has ever since...
Next on my list to try.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
If the wiring/circuit check out fine, then it may be the module itself. If you troubleshot this to that point, then you may find this info helpful...

Cruise Control Module Disassemble

GL

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still no luck as I tried cleaning the contacts. I looked at the link above which was good as far as it goes. Shows the disassembly of the unit but no trouble shooting or ideas of possible problem areas.

·
Registered
408 Posts
How many miles on the car/unit? These modules have plastic gears. I have 2 modules with worn out gears. I have used the cruise control heavily on my Impala and wore out the original unit.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
There is a comprehensive and easy to follow troubleshooting tree for the cruise in the FSM. Test something: yes/no, move on to next test. Just with a voltmeter. It will solve the problem in about ten min.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Cruise Control Modules had cheap plastic gears that go bad over time too if I remember correctly. I wanted to add Cruise to mine but never did.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
TANK asked - What are the usual suspects when this happens?

Let's hope something as simple as dirty contacts. 15 years ago with my old FWB the CC sometimes would not turn on when pushing the button. It was only once every couple months, and only when re-engaging after already having it on and the car running. The fix was a simple "turn off key - let motor wind down - restart" and it worked again. I always figured the CC brain got overwhelmed and froze. I finally got some elec contact spray and shot it in the column and all better after that forever. So it must have been dirty something all along.

Guess what? The new FWB I bought a year ago did the same dam thing just 5 days ago. Same fix. Need a new can of that spray.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
210,000 miles on my car to include the cruise control unit so I guess gears could be the problem. I may take another shot a contact cleaning before I tear into anything. Should be some cruise units in the junk yards, even though they are old if I could get my hands on one cheap it might prove whether it is a gear problem.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a comprehensive and easy to follow troubleshooting tree for the cruise in the FSM. Test something: yes/no, move on to next test. Just with a voltmeter. It will solve the problem in about ten min.
Guess I need to find myself a FSM too.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The cruise switch (off-on-resume) on my car is flaky at times due to age and wear.(stays off) It is available as a Dorman replacement part. You do not have to "get a junker" that is also worn out.

The switch that gets the most wear in the cruise system is the cruise switch in the brake switch. There are two separate switches in the "brake switch"

This is where a FSM saves time and money by isolating the problem to one part.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The cruise switch (off-on-resume) on my car is flaky at times due to age and wear.(stays off) It is available as a Dorman replacement part. You do not have to "get a junker" that is also worn out.

The switch that gets the most wear in the cruise system is the cruise switch in the brake switch. There are two separate switches in the "brake switch"

This is where a FSM saves time and money by isolating the problem to one part.
This could be an issue for me too. I was doing some brake work, thought I needed a new booster and started to disassemble, later found out that was not the problem but I did move the brake switch around some. I did not see but one switch though, are you saying two separate switches or a single switch with two separate contacts?

I am currently involved in buying another home and getting my current home ready for market so little is being done to vehicles but I continue to do my research when I have a moment or two. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I did not see but one switch though, are you saying two separate switches or a single switch with two separate contacts?

That Is what I remember.

Here is a trick for you. when you want to see a part look for it on rockauto.com. Some of the manufactures include several pictures. When I checked it shows the brake switch as two plugs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts