Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, figured I'd post some pictures of the custom rollbar my buddy built for me this winter. I use the car primarily for open track road course events and some autocross, and was looking to add some rollover protection while retaining the rear seat area for cargo/spares/wheels/tools etc as I still drive the car to and from race tracks. Here's to hoping I never have to use it! Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Nice!
Is it welded to the frame or body?

Nab

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice!
Is it welded to the frame or body?

Nab
Body, as it seemed thicker/stronger in that spot than the wimpy C channel frame in the center there. It's also got pretty substantial pads where it's welded to the body inside the trunk

Attachments

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Body, as it seemed thicker/stronger in that spot than the wimpy C channel frame in the center there. It's also got pretty substantial pads where it's welded to the body inside the trunk
Im thinkin bout doin this too once i get the body back on frame. Did u guys weld it inside or piece it together once u had the majority welded?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im thinkin bout doin this too once i get the body back on frame. Did u guys weld it inside or piece it together once u had the majority welded?
I wasn't there the whole process, but I know my buddy test fit the main hoop, tacked that first, then the rear down bars, then the rear top cross bar. He's done a bunch of cages, so I think he's got the measuring part down solid by now, and had everything cut and bent before welding it in.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does a roll cage like this satisfy the requirements at the track? I expect when I redo mine to make it need things such as roll bars and drive shaft loop etc.

Rodney

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Actually, on a full frame car most sanctioning body's require the cage
to be welded directly to the frame which makes it stronger and chassis more rigid.
For autocross, I don't think it matters.

Nab

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Does a roll cage like this satisfy the requirements at the track? I expect when I redo mine to make it need things such as roll bars and drive shaft loop etc.

Rodney
Depends on sanctioning body and type of "racing" or use. Drag and NHRA rules are different than say SCCA or NASA road race, and the requirements between solo Time Trial racing and wheel to wheel racing are different as well.

What's your intended use?

Actually, on a full frame car most sanctioning body's require the cage
to be welded directly to the frame which makes it stronger and chassis more rigid.
For autocross, I don't think it matters.

Nab
I'm not planning on any wheel to wheel racing or super fast drag passes. Autocross generally doesn't get fast enough to pose a threat of rollovers. I mostly do open track days on road courses, and possibly some Hillclimb time trials in the future. Since I started running a HANS device/fixed back seat/6 point belts for open track stuff, I figured it'd be good to not have the roof come down and squish me while rigidly stuck in place.

We figured the body was going to be just about as strong as the C channel section of frame under the B pillar without extra reinforcements and extra time/labor/materials. Same as were we would have tied into the rear shock crossmember. Maybe not quite ideal going to the body, but should help keep the roof off my head in a rollover. The extra rigidity would be nice going to the frame, but not quite worth it to me for the extra hassle.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I plan to do some drag racing and autocrossing with my car. I know I will need a roll cage in my car for this so I am trying to sort out what I need to do now.

Not planning on tubbing the car or anything drastic but hope to be putting ~700 hp to the pavement and want to be able to meet whatever requirements I need to, to be able to race it. I plan to keep the vehicle as "cruiseable" as possible and not just a "race queen" if that makes sense.

Since I plan on doing a frame off restore and plan to box the frame and such I do have some options.

Rodney

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Get a copy of the NHRA specs/requirement(s) for roll cages. Last I checked,four point "roll bars" are not legal. As well as the body attachment on full frame cars previously mentioned. NHRA doesn't require cages unless you're quicker than 11.5 ET.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Going to go out on a limb and guess your 9C1 was abused for this purpose ?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely look into the NHRA requirements for the drag stuff. A couple places make pre-fabbed bolt in or weld in kits for the B-car platform that meet NHRA specs I'm pretty sure. It will be cheaper going that route than anything custom. Autocrossing doesn't really require any rollover protection in Non-convertible cars that I've ever seen, so that's pretty open. FWIW, NHRA requirements for drag racing and SCCA/NASA road racing cages have different minimum requirements, but a very well engineered and fabricated full cage will likely meet both.
I plan to do some drag racing and autocrossing with my car. I know I will need a roll cage in my car for this so I am trying to sort out what I need to do now.

Not planning on tubbing the car or anything drastic but hope to be putting ~700 hp to the pavement and want to be able to meet whatever requirements I need to, to be able to race it. I plan to keep the vehicle as "cruiseable" as possible and not just a "race queen" if that makes sense.

Since I plan on doing a frame off restore and plan to box the frame and such I do have some options.

Rodney

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Didn't want to assume It's your 9C1 in this thread. Now I'll Assume this the 9C1. lol. I am going to run Loring Timing Association https://www.facebook.com/loringtiming/ hopefully this year. I believe a roll cage is required over 130 MPH. Absorbing some good info.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Looks great

Any idea what this would cost for labor and materials if someone wanted the exact same setup?

Or is it possible to retain the stock front seats and console with this roll cage?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts