Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Chevy Caprice Classic 1996, 5.7 liter
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone that know shoot me in the right direction to find customize coolant hoses of different colors? Vehicle is Chevy Caprice Classic’96
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can anyone that know shoot me in the right direction to find customize coolant hoses of different colors? Vehicle is Chevy Caprice Classic’96
Thanks
There are 2 that come to mind. Mishimito and continental. look on amazon and summit racing.

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
There are 2 that come to mind. Mishimito and continental. look on amazon and summit racing.
I see nothing on Mishimto's sight for 94-96 B body.
I see no silicon hoses for the same cars on Continental's sight

Do you have part numbers ?

Samco and Bono have specific hoses listed for the cars

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see nothing on Mishimto's sight for 94-96 B body.
I see no silicon hoses for the same cars on Continental's sight

Do you have part numbers ?

Samco and Bono have specific hoses listed for the cars
Mishimoto MMHOSE-IMP-94BL Silicone Radiator Hose Kit Compatible With Chevrolet Impala SS 1994-1996 Blue

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I was all in for some Samco black silicone hoses for my new build. I wanted black, but I liked the shine of silicone.

Between the availability/lead times, the $500.00 cost, the tendency for silicone hose to lose water over time, and being relatively incompatibility with oil and gasoline; I decided to abandon any thoughts of silicone and purchased traditional black hoses with high quality clamps.

Interesting fact about silicone hoses:

I imagine some of those cheap Chinese silicone hoses might allow much greater water permeation...

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I purchased Mishimoto upper/lower hoses in black very reasonably from Jeg's.

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
Interesting fact about silicone hoses:

Interesting test, they say water permeates but coolant does not.
Not suggesting they are biased in their test.
In my case ( black Samco with Gates thermo clamps ) you could smell coolant but could never see a leak.
Online searches came up with numerous threads with people complaining about smells.
Seems the antifreeze, or at least an aromatic component of it permeates the hose.
My solution was Motorcraft Gold coolant.
No more smell.
Most all our race cars and engine preheater have silicon hoses.
You can always smell them when preheating, even the ones with just Water Wetter

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I purchased Mishimoto upper/lower hoses in black very reasonably from Jeg's.
Yep, I saw those.
2 Mishimoto hoses for $100+ bucks is ok, but not necessarily cheaper than the Samco hoses, as the Samco set is an 8 piece kit.
I was willing to pay the price though, and I could have dealt with the possibility of water permeation. I skipped the Mishimoto route because I did not want 2 shiny hoses and the rest to be regular dull rubber.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts

Interesting test, they say water permeates but coolant does not.
Not suggesting they are biased in their test.
In my case ( black Samco with Gates thermo clamps ) you could smell coolant but could never see a leak.
Online searches came up with numerous threads with people complaining about smells.
Seems the antifreeze, or at least an aromatic component of it permeates the hose.
My solution was Motorcraft Gold coolant.
No more smell.
Most all our race cars and engine preheater have silicon hoses.
You can always smell them when preheating, even the ones with just Water Wetter
Yes, I read about the smells too. I didn't mention it because I found no supporting evidence, but it was widely talked about. The possibility of "smell" issues also weighed heavily on my decision to go with traditional radiator hoses. I am a stickler for leaks and smells.

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
The other downside to Samco is they don't sell specific individual hoses .
My car, because of the swap has some Jeep Compass V6 Samcos in the mix.
Smell wise no issue with the Gold coolant.
Mine has no iron or steel anywhere in the mix

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks
I have the Summit Racing blue radiator and heater hose kits on an S10 and 96 Impala SS, which are the same kits that Continental sells, and they hold up very well. The S10 hoses are 10 years old and still in good condition. summitracing.com and under one hundred bucks. Don't know if the Impala SS hoses are an exact fit for your Caprice, but should be close .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts