Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help on my 1995 chevy impala ss.. I bought car about 2 years ago.. Has not gave me problems. My wife decided to take it out with her friends and it died on her... Alternator seems to be the culprit. Anyways bought new one but won't keep car charger.. It has some wiring done to alternator that I cannot figure out maybe you guys can help.. Let me know if you have seen this set up..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Stereo, or aux power for a trailer plug. From the images it looks like a self resetting breaker and relay. You could unplug them and see what quits.

If a new alternator did not fix the problem you can play the guessing game and change your battery or get out the voltmeter and do some measuring..Free alternator and battery testing is usually available at auto parts stores. This can save you time and money.

Dirty battery terminals and ground to engine connections are common places to start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stereo, or aux power for a trailer plug. From the images it looks like a self resetting breaker and relay. You could unplug them and see what quits.

If a new alternator did not fix the problem you can play the guessing game and change your battery or get out the voltmeter and do some measuring..Free alternator and battery testing is usually available at auto parts stores. This can save you time and money.

Dirty battery terminals and ground to engine connections are common places to start.
Car starts but I was told it won't recharge battery.. So might me an external voltage regulator. Because of how its ran.. Its not connected with the pigtail

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Wasn't this covered recently, and decided that this was a circuit breaker and relay setup for an upgraded headlight harness?

This is not an external regulator.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
So might me an external voltage regulator. Because of how its ran.. Its not connected with the pigtail
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It could be whatever you want it to be, BUT it has a relay diagram on the side of it and says Germany. Not too many German regulators with relay diagrams work with a CS144 that already has a internal regulator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wasn't this covered recently, and decided that this was a circuit breaker and relay setup for an upgraded headlight harness?

This is not an external regulator.
Actually this was not recently covered. This breaker and relay runs back to my ELECTRIC WATER PUMP.. Not a custom headlights harness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also looked up the fuse and it came back as a VW fuse. All this is connected to my waterpump then this runs to another relay which controls a buzzer inside the car which goes off of water pump decided to fail. So where the alternator OEM connection goes was capped off and its now bolted behind the alternator and then 2 power wires run from battery to alternator. As you can see in my ****ty pictures..now I was told thAt our alternators self excite them selves ..now I bought this car with a few mods already. So I'm trying to figire out if previous alternator was custom inside. Which looks like it was a cs130..I tried hooking up a cs144 the same way and it killed 2 of them. I was told to just buy a 1wire and be done..I dont mind buying it but I also don't want to burn another one..budget is tight. Thats why I'm here asking for Your help.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Take your old original alternator to an old school auto electric shop. They will know instantly what type of regulator it has. Since that setup worked for 2 years, just rebuild it. Now if you used it as a core, you are screwed. Is that pic the original or new unit? What does the label say?

These Frankenstein/Rube Goldberg setups should not be bought unless they come with a schematic or the ability to reverse engineer it.

Last external regulator I owned was a 65 Riviera Gran Sport. Internal has been around for a LONG time.

Or try a good high school or vocational college. Maybe you will actually get someone who is interested in your car and knows what to do.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Last external regulator I owned was a 65 Riviera Gran Sport. Internal has been around for a LONG time.
grandpas wagon

The CS144 and CS130 BOTH use the same internal regulator.

Do you have any evidence of a external regulator? A picture of the old alternator?

The external regulator you keep asking about would look out of place in the engine compartment and would have wires that run to the alternator. These wires probably would not be run in the factory wiring split loom but also look like they were added to the car.

The CS144 connections are battery, warning light, and ignition power.
The CS130 connections are battery, warning light, and ignition power.
I was told thAt our alternators self excite them selves ..now I bought this car with a few mods already. So I'm trying to figire out if previous alternator was custom inside. Which looks like it was a cs130..I tried hooking up a cs144 the same way and it killed 2 of them. I was told to just buy a 1wire and be done..I dont mind buying it but I also don't want to burn another one..budget is tight. Thats why I'm here asking for Your help.
You have not identified why the original alternator quit. Throwing alternator after alternator at it will not help.

As grandpas wagon suggested
Take your old original alternator to an old school auto electric shop.
I suggest you take the whole car. One misplaced wire is the difference between charging and frying a alternator. A recommended and qualified person should get you on the road in under a hour unless they have to replace the alternator again.

·
Registered
491 Posts
This looks like the guy I was trying to help on a Facebook forum, I couldn't solve it but did send him here for more help. If he's still got the original alternator, I'd love to see that thing opened up, as there was some janky wiring going on with that. If I recall, the harness wasn't plugged into it at all, and there were wires being snaked into the case through the openings in the back. If you've still got it, they're super easy to open up, the four small long bolts between the halves and it should split apart fairly easily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry..quick update. I do not gave alternator any more.. Long story short. Napa lost my alternator they bought me a 200amp powermaster 1 wire alternator. I installed that. Found out all the extra wiring i was was to the water pump i guess meziere has a wiring kit for this.. Also found out this water pump is wired weird..i connected wires just like i removed them. Got alternator so hot when my sweat landed on it, it sizzled. And found out the other wire is ground for water pump so when i start car ground gets power so maybe my water pump is my issue. Havent playef with it more due to being a full time dad 50+ hours a week of work.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Meziere does make a wiring kit, but it doesn't include that German relay, I've got it on one car that I've got those pumps on. Like many electric motors, the pump will run regardless of which way the wires are connected, but it may run backwards if connected incorrectly. Might want to check that to be sure. I don't know what direction it's supposed to run off the top of my head, but someone here might. There's an inspection cover on the front you can pop off to see which way it's spinning. If no one else chimes in with the correct direction, I can check one of mine and report back.

That said, it shouldn't have anything to do with your main issue, just might not be cooling the engine correctly. I have had one car where I've consistently had alternator issues, including getting so hot that after only a few minutes of run time you'd burn your hand on the case if you touched it. It's my youngest brothers '96 Vette and I've been chasing that for awhile myself, but I think I've figured it out, or at least I hope. The car had a secondary fuel pump added to it and I added the electric water pump. I think it was more draw than it could handle through the factory wire. The charging wire from the alt to the batt is stupid small on those, it looks like 8ga at best.

While working that problem I've gone through a couple alts myself (albeit mostly older ones I had laying around that I cobbled together into good working ones). I'm back to the good Powermaster that I originally bought for it since after I opened it up and looked at it, it turned out that what happened was it broke a wire off the stator. I swapped another good front onto that alt and it tested fine at the parts store so it's back on the car and I'm just waiting until I finish fixing a bunch of other stuff before I can test drive it. I also added a couple 4ga wires to it, a hot wire straight from the stud to the batt "+" terminal, and another from the back of the case itself to the batt "-" terminal. The car also has a new battery, I did that to rule it out since the old battery was a cheap one and getting near the end of its lifespan anyways.

Initial experiments with a different alt indicated that just the hot wire alone was allowing the alt to work better and longer before giving up (I suspect that it was already damaged from the heavy load on it). When I took that one apart to inspect I found that it had been getting so hot that the plastic? board that the rectifier/diode assembly is attached to had been melting and bubbling. I've also since removed the second fuel pump since the car no longer needed it (it had been procharged, but I pulled that off and restored the car back to stock to sell it, and the procharger is mine to keep).

As for the electric water pump, they're super easy to remove if you don't mind having to refill the coolant and bleed the air out. It would at least allow you to see if it spins freely by hand, to rule out an excessive load from that. Just unplug the harness, take all the little bolts out all the way around it, and it pops right out, similar to how the original inspection cover would be removed.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Got alternator so hot when my sweat landed on it, it sizzled.

Alternator number four not functioning normally?

Consider a engine fire followed by a possible denied insurance claim due to owner installed parts. Vs having a expert fix it.

I can not think what would push a 200 Amp alternator this hard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not a good enough ground? Yea i can pay a "professional" but i want to figure this out. How do you have the pleasure of feeling accomplished if you pay someone to fix it? Its not my daily driver its not my weekend driver its my every blue moon driver.. My 5th car. Ill figure it out..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All right guys sorry it's taking me awhile to come back. Ended up figuring out my alternator issue. I just needed a bigger one wire alternator. I got one from powermaster at 200amp. These alternators get from 165 degrees to 210 degrees I talked to the guys at powermaster they also recommended not running a fuse or circuit breaker. Due to the fact that these alternatives are so well build that sometimes it's spikes higher. The other wiring a had picture. Is to my water pump you can buy this kit. Thanks for your guys's help I did not need to take this to a shop and I saved a lot of money

1 - 16 of 16 Posts