Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an extra pair of SS springs laying around and I'm thinking about cutting half a coil off of them and throwing them on the ole gal!! How much lower would that make the car, and would that stiffen teh spring rate any? I don't want to go too low, I just want to get rid of some of that fender gap! Thanks in advance!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you can cut fronts but not backs, you didnt specify which ones you had.......and yes cutting them will increase rate

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fronts!!
Will cutting half a coil Lower it drastically? I'm looking for about a .5" to .75" drop! And the stiffer the better!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cpriego:
sorry for steping in but why can't you cut the back ones? :rolleyes:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you look at the springs you'll see why. The fronts, the coils are the same diameter all the way from top to bottom.

The rears, the top and bottom coils are a lot smaller than the rest of them to fit in the spring pockets correctly. If you cut them, there's no way to install them in the car...

HTH.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would cut about 1/4 coil off first and check it to see if that is the height you want I cut a set of 9c1 springs with the formula of every 1/2 coil lowers 1/2 inch and I wanted to lower my car about 2.5 inches and I cut 2.5 coils off and I sure got my car lower it was slammed it looked good but just not able to drive it daily sitting that low..just my opinion on that you can always cut again but you cant add it back after its cut.
Darrell

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cut one full coil off of stock 9C1 fronts and they were just about at stock SS height.

I cut one full coil off of SS springs, and was on the bumpstops. I cut 3/4" off the top of the bumpstop and it still was not practical to drive.
For $10 plus shipping you can have them, or stop by the house I'll give them to you.

Rich A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This may be common knowledge, but if you're cutting on coil springs, remember you can only cut on the end that maintains the coil at the same twist, which happens to be the "bottom" side of the spring. The wild end fits in a slot in the lower A-arm. The other end of the spring should be left alone as the coil is flattened to create a flat seat that bears on the mount plate up in the frame.

Be sure to put the spring in the way it came out, and only cut on the bottom end. ;)

I can't help on the heights, - the only cutting I've done is on Fleetwood springs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toomanytoyz:
If you look at the springs you'll see why. The fronts, the coils are the same diameter all the way from top to bottom.

The rears, the top and bottom coils are a lot smaller than the rest of them to fit in the spring pockets correctly. If you cut them, there's no way to install them in the car...HTH.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to let others know, after purchasing replacement rears from oem, wasn't impressed wih the quality of the finished end, in regards to the gradual reduction of the radius of the spring, as compared to original equipment. So I went ahead and recoiled one end of both springs. Armed with knowledge of heat treatment of spring steel, and some restraint, it can be done without rendering the spring a stick of raw, or for that matter, a string of cooked spaghetti.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I may have either installed the springs in my blue wagon wrong or maybe worse,cut the wrong end off,I was doing the whole front end and i may have missed that detail,I cut a half coil off, and after the install the front lowered about a half inch,it looks good,but the problem is that sometimes when backing up out of the driveway and appling the brakes,I can hear a sound as if the spring is moving around in the pocket,I didn't notice the difference between top or bottom of the springs when I cut them,and when installing them I didn't have a spring compresser,so it was tough getting them indexed, i may pick up a compressor and try to get them into the holes ,hopefully I won't have to flip them over,or worse ,buy replacement$$

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cpriego:
same thing with 9c1 springs?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone?

-= Brett Smith =-
1995 9C1 LT1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe the only difference between 9C1 springs and SS spring is the height and spring rate, as far as the ends go they should be exactly alike!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.