Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to cut my stock '94 drivers seat and make it a bucket seat, havent found much on how hard that is to do. frank, any input? i saw yours at the fest and it looked great. my father and i talked to you and you said it was pretty easy.
kevin wants to sell me a tan blazer console, im very interested if this isnt too hard of a job. i could probably fix the hole in my floor while im at it....
thanks for any input!

-matt

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
or maybe its easier to just buy bucket seats... im not willing to spend too much on that though. im going to college next year.. i need the cheapest way!!;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if u were closer i would tade you

i love the bench over the bucket.
ehhhh. that sucks we dont live closer.
i dont like the bench because i never use the middle seat. i would rather have more storage and cupholders ect.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
It's very easy.

There is an extra "tube" welded onto the DS seat.

Other than that, it's identical to the PS seat.

Remove the seat bottom upholstery, and you can see it clearly.

Some guys run two passenger seats.

I am too anal for that, and don't want the tilt lever between the seat and console.

Once you've modified the frame, you can either take the seat to an upholstery shop,
or you can sew up the seat yourself. I've seen people use a PS seat cover on the DS seat too.

I have documented what I did here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732699/3

HTH.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's very easy.

There is an extra "tube" welded onto the DS seat.

Other than that, it's identical to the PS seat.

Remove the seat bottom upholstery, and you can see it clearly.

Some guys run two passenger seats.

I am too anal for that, and don't want the tilt lever between the seat and console.

Once you've modified the frame, you can either take the seat to an upholstery shop,
or you can sew up the seat yourself. I've seen people use a PS seat cover on the DS seat too.

I have documented what I did here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732699/3

HTH.
your interior looks great. job well done

·
Registered
602 Posts
yes VERY easy to do. i have done it on a few s10 seats, and i don't even really sew it up at the bottom but make holes and use zips ties. if you are going to put a console in there, no one will never know, it's not sewn

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
pull the drivers seat (6 bolts) and flip it over and you will see how easy it is.
either a cutting wheel or a hacksaw if you don't have access to a compressor.
wheel is the way to go though. I have a few seats that need this mod but not ready to roll them out there yet.....
I have a bonnie bench seat that is set up the same way

·
Registered
865 Posts
or maybe its easier to just buy bucket seats... im not willing to spend too much on that though. im going to college next year.. i need the cheapest way!!;)
The cheapest way is, find a matching passenger seat and swap it with the drivers seat, very cheap and easy, If your not happy with it then chop up the drivers seat.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Easiest way is to find another passenger seat. Move it to the drivers side. Remove the lever assembly form the original drivers seat and remount it to the new driver/passenger seat.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You could go shopping, check out the junkyards.
You may find some more treasures than what you needed in the first place.

I'm like a girl with a brand new credit card when I go to the yard. I got an extra set of tails, a not-so-broken armrest, extra interior screws, and a fuse panel cover.
I was there for only an ashtray and a window sweep.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
word. im gonna go for it
yes VERY easy to do. i have done it on a few s10 seats, and i don't even really sew it up at the bottom but make holes and use zips ties. if you are going to put a console in there, no one will never know, it's not sewn

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i did it, and it looks pretty good. ill post pics and show the stuff i did when everything is done.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Anybody have more info or pics on how to go about cutting down drivers seat. I need to make room for a floor console.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anybody have more info or pics on how to go about cutting down drivers seat. I need to make room for a floor console.
just take your drivers seat out and flip it over. unfasten the seat cover on the right side and youll see the frame. it shouldnt take more than a couple hours chop the frame with an angle grinder and cut the cushion (not too much!)
i just used zip ties to fasten the seat cover back down

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The plus of finding a second matching passenger seat is usually they are a lot less worn and with the age of these cars the average drivers seat has seen better days.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.