Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone drive a wagon daily? My pursuit of a new daily has led me to an auto auction and they have a 1994 caprice wagon for sale. So I might bid on it.

How are these cars for daily driving? I commute an hour each way to work. So how is the gas mileage? I'm unsure if I should try to get this as a daily. I wish I didn't have too many projects now lol

·
Premium Member
6,275 Posts
Anyone drive a wagon daily? My pursuit of a new daily has led me to an auto auction and they have a 1994 caprice wagon for sale. So I might bid on it.

How are these cars for daily driving? I commute an hour each way to work. So how is the gas mileage? I'm unsure if I should try to get this as a daily. I wish I didn't have too many projects now lol
I think most of us do. If you drive like a citizen they can give you a pretty economical ride.

I live in stop and go traffic so I don't even want to think about the mileage.
Last time I checked on the highway it was 24 miles to a US gallon with the 6 speed and 4.56.

Stockers in good tune usually will give you mid 20's IF you try.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
With all the idiots on the road today, having a tank is the only way to defend yourself. The cost of gas is decent, and since you won't have a car payment the price of gas should not matter. You are already at least $199 per month ahead without doing anything. Even if you have to repair the car, you can spend $2200 per year and come out even.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gas mileage and overall size are my biggest worries. My '94 Pathfinder, as much as i love it, is getting to the point where I can't afford to fix everything and keep fixing it.

But in that I got roughly 20-22mpg on my highway trips to see my girlfriend while she was at school. And averaged about 19-21mpg when I was going to work and back. But it's also a 5-speed manual and 4WD.

The 1994 Wagons have an LT1? Is there any cheats and tricks to get some better economy? Like air filter? or similar things. On average I drive kind of fast. My usual route to work is 70mph or so. just on average.

I mean I am not 100% if I will get it. Just wanna have all the facts before I jump into something head first (like I did with the nissan).

Funny thing though. If I DO get this, it'll mean I've only owned 3 vehicles that aren't from 1994 lol. 2 if you consider daily drivers.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
You may find that parts for the wagon are substantially cheaper than the Japanese car. Most of the parts can be found in the junkyard. The only expensive parts for normal maintenance are related to the LT1, especially the opti. Other than that the parts are reasonable, and last a long time. There are other individual car quirks on a given car, but generally the US model car is less expensive to maintain than a foreign made car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may find that parts for the wagon are substantially cheaper than the Japanese car. Most of the parts can be found in the junkyard. The only expensive parts for normal maintenance are related to the LT1, especially the opti. Other than that the parts are reasonable, and last a long time. There are other individual car quirks on a given car, but generally the US model car is less expensive to maintain than a foreign made car.
The price on the Nissan wasn't too bad. It's just that it adds up. Especially considering Nissan isn't known for their frame reliability.

And junkyards are hard pressed to have Caprices. Especially LT1 caprices. My family owns a junkyard. And my step brother has one as well. Caprices aren't all that common anymore. People hold onto them pretty well. They just aren't common junkyard cars around here at least. as opposed to Nissan's which run past their frames (I do love the Nissan VG30).

Hopefully everything looks good on this car. I'll know monday when we go to the auction. It's 114k though. Do the dealers charge an arm and a leg to replace the optispark?

But my current things I'm looking at besides this is a 2002 S60 AWD (might go too high), 1996 Continental (needs 2 doors), a 2002 Blazer 4WD, 1999 Neon, and then the wagon. I need something reliable for everyday use. And if I get the wagon it's 2 birds with one stone. Get an LT1 and a daily driver. But yeah. Just nervous because my daily drive takes a toll on cars.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I switch between my 95 caprice and roady as a daily driver. Not much to add on top of whats been said, much cheaper to keep going than paying off a new car, fuel economy isn't too bad if its well maintained.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I was talking to my mom about it.

The car is not located at the sale itself. But she said we can still bid on it. If it goes cheap enough they'll just buy it anyway. But if it goes for too high I'm going with a backup plan with the Volvo possibly. There was a nice CTS listed on there but it's got a bad transmission.

Of course if it weren't for the price of gas and fuel mileage I'd love one of the Navigators on there lol. But the auction has alot of crown victorias and stuff. So time will tell. But I'll still keep my hopes up for the wagon.

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
If you want a reliable, dependable daily driver, you need to get a '92-99 Buick LeSabre and put Pontiac Bonneville shocks/struts in it. Done.

Do you work on your cars at all?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want a reliable, dependable daily driver, you need to get a '92-99 Buick LeSabre and put Pontiac Bonneville shocks/struts in it. Done.

Do you work on your cars at all?
Yeah. But when it comes to removing the water pump and all that I'm just iffy. I mean I could do it. It's just a time thing. The hours I work are too weird and with the added overtime, i just don't have time to dedicate to a job like that.

But I've fixed all my stuff on my own. I'm currently taking the transmission out of my S10 to replace a slave cylinder. and once I get the Pathfinder out of the garage I'm putting my 82 wagon in to start pulling the motor out of it.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I get 17-19 MPG with my wagon.... Love to drive it..... Drive one before you buy one. I am sure if a wagon owner is in your area, they will let you try it.

Joel is right though, the 3.8 in the mid to late 90's will get you much closer to 30 MPG on the road.

Good luck.

Tim

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I get 17-19 MPG with my wagon.... Love to drive it..... Drive one before you buy one. I am sure if a wagon owner is in your area, they will let you try it.

Joel is right though, the 3.8 in the mid to late 90's will get you much closer to 30 MPG on the road.

Good luck.

Tim
I own a boxy wagon. Not the same, I know. But it's whatever lol. I dunno how I'd feel about an 18-foot long wagon. But who knows. I'm weighing my options still..

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
Toby, the '91-93 B-bodies with the TBI engines are super reliable and so easy to work on it's not even funny. If you want a no-hassle commuter B-body, that's the way to go. The prices are super cheap too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I pretty much drive my 94 RMW everyday to work. I love the size, comfort, and no one messes with it. The gas mileage is not bad, but then again the G8 isn't a gas sipper either. I drive 40 minutes each way to work (Ft. Lauderdale) and find the fewer drivers are willing to pull out in front of the wagon. I keep telling myself I'm only driving the wagon to keep the miles off the G8, but I really enjoy the wagon (A/C could work alittle better). Now of course now the wife is wanting to sell the other car since it just sits in the garage.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
These wagons are surprisingly easy to drive for such a large car. My friends cringe when I just swing into a parking spot, lol.

As for Caprices in Junkyards, they are a dime a dozen around here. Check reply number 6 in this thread for the man that can get you most anything you could ever need, lol. I can get quite a lot as well.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Toby, the '91-93 B-bodies with the TBI engines are super reliable and so easy to work on it's not even funny. If you want a no-hassle commuter B-body, that's the way to go. The prices are super cheap too.
+1,
I drive my '93 wagon about 90% of the time. My commute to work averages about 29mph according to the trip computer in my volvo. I get about 19mpg with 3.73 gears.
I get 23-25 on the freeway. With factory 2.93's (or what ever they were) I got 25-28 on the freeway all the time. The TBI cars ('91 - '93) have a lean run feature at cruising speed that really helps the MPG. And, as Sherlock says, they are easier to work on than a carburetor car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.