Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of five wheel kits (wheel, cap, lug nuts) from Dal back in March at this same price. Went by his house in Akron and picked them up (I think this saved me around $17 shipping for each kit ($85 total)). Perfect, each and every one.
Turned around and sold my four old ones on ebay for $400. That means I got five new wheels for $279!!!! Whatta deal!!!

Subject: impala wheels
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:39:53 -0500
X-Message-Number: 2

hi guys, i was able to get vandevere to run their wheel sale again. from now until december 21, all impala wheel kits will sell at 135.80 per wheel kit. some of you have indicted you wanted this for christman so here it is,

also, there is a limited supply of the lower seat foam for the front seats on the impalas so now is the time before they are gone,

happy holidays to all
stay safe

dal slabaugh
vandevere pont-buick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, $135 for a wheel setup, that's awesome. I was looking into getting my wheels reconditioned and they want $109 flat fee per wheel! :eek:

I'd rather have NEW ones for $20 more with the opportunity to sell my old set!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even without Dals awesome hookup SS wheels are fairly readily available for $150 apiece(with new centers, lugs and stems) so even without this sale $109 is a silly price to pay for reconditioning. People just asume these are expensive, I think list is only $190 or at least that is what it was when I bought, I paid $150 apiece local.
Would not even begin to suprize me if you could get more than new price for used on ebay because too few people do research.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stopped at VanDevere Friday morning and got one. Looked like maybe 12 left in stock. One I bought was dated 9/2004 so they're fresh ;)

Looks like he bought every SS hood left. Got a long lineup of hoods along the back wall.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, that's cause I've just about bought every used hood out there!!

Bent the first one two weeks after I bought the BOILRSS using the spare tire of a Landrover!

Then got attacked by a gator outside Charlotte!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anders, here in the US, a "Gator" is a chunk of tire that typically comes off of a big 18-wheel truck. When you combine heavy loads (up to 80000 lbs), the high speeds the trucks are capable of and allowed to run, and some bad roads (in the US Interstate highway system), there are lots of blown truck tires, sometimes leaving VERY large pieces of tread rubber in the road--and the appearance of some can be described as not unlike that of an alligator.

Free trade encourages a large amount of trucking as goods are moved all around, into and out of the country, and whatever state has the lowest vehicle equipment inspection standards means alot of trucks go on the road in poor condition, thus tire failures are very common.

No kidding on this one--Gene's car was attacked by a "Gator"!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bill,
i spoke to a guy who sells "new" truck tires not the retreads for most of the 18 wheelers out here, and i started complaining about the re-treads and how they should be illegal to sell here in arizona, he told me that the re-treads are not the problem he said it was the new tires that come apart?? i thought he was pulling my leg being as young and handsome that i am, and after a few more minutes into the conversation, he took me to the back of the shop and showed me the huge stacks and stacks of firestone,bridgestone,michelen, etc. all brand new tires coming apart and than pointed out the small few retreads in another stack, so a week goes by i am watching a local news story about tire bits on the freeway and sure enough they said that the most of the tire bits came from new/orignal manufactures tires and not retread, they said that the truck drivers drive them to the bone, i am not sure how they pass D.O.T inspections but some get through the cracks, i am not saying retreads are perfect but it was very eye opening to know this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anders, just for your information, where I live and South into Florida, gators can be a road hazard during very heavy rains and during the mating season the bulls (the big guys) go out and about hunting mates. I have a picture of a swamp just off of I-75 South of Gainesville, FL that was taken at dusk and the camera flash reveals over 100 pairs of gator eyes!!! The State has erected fences to keep them off the highway and tunnels for them to get from one side of the swamp to the other. Near my home during a rain storm last year I had to wait for one (about 5' long) to cross the road before I could continue driving.

BTW, the "gator" that took out my second hood was about 6 feet long, was thrown up in the air by a van directly in front of me as we traveled at 60 MPH with the top of the "gator's jaw" slapping the hood and the other half wrapping under the front bumper. Raced it at Englishtown the next day and showed it (with replaced hood) in St. Paul at the Car Craft Summer Nationals the following weekend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aha, it makes sence. You learn something new every day...

In that case I've also ran over a gator years back with my Caprice station wagon and got a flat tire.

Yea I've been to Florida numerous times and seen them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I stand corrected as far as the inference that the majority of blown tires are re-treaded rather than new. Bandag developed the truck tire retreading process years ago that works pretty good, from all I've ever heard about it--and I'm sure there are other companies doing the same. I doubt that the "new" or original tread tires that end up throwing their tread off are useable for re-treading, since that type of failure is usually rather dramatic and catastrophically damaging to the integrity of the tire carcass.

I've edited my previous comments...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.