1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
There is very little demand for it from engine builders and racers.
i was looking forward to that block. i think you posted it up along time ago befor the crash....

o well.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I had a silent bet with myself that this would be the result. Sad, but I couldn't believe that they were even considering it at the time. Yet another indicator that the LTx was a stupid idea from the beginning.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
Too bad they cancelled the block. It would have been an ideal set up run a high boost engine, since I had hoped to run one down the road.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Well, the way I see it it's no big deal. Which is evidenced by the fact that this is post #10 and not post #1,000. ;)

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
I didn't think it was a good idea, either. Anyone who is willing to spend the bucks on a racing block can do better for less money with either an LSx or a gen 1 smallblock. 18 degree heads, anyone?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I didn't think it was a good idea, either. Anyone who is willing to spend the bucks on a racing block can do better for less money with either an LSx or a gen 1 smallblock. 18 degree heads, anyone?
Disagree...
There would have been a good following.
Not a large one like LSx

If they built 5000 units they would sell all of them.
Especially if they were aluminum.
They is already a large following of LT1 Aluminum Cylinder Heads to support the Block.

Not everyone is a LSx fan or want to go the full conversion.

D

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I had a silent bet with myself that this would be the result. Sad, but I couldn't believe that they were even considering it at the time. Yet another indicator that the LTx was a stupid idea from the beginning.
X2 on the self-bet... I hate betting myself... [email protected] never pays up..

I talked with some of the guys that worked on the LT1 (internally GenII small block). A lot BS to get it to what it was, would you believe that vehicle styling caused Opti to happen?

Disagree...
There would have been a good following.
Not a large one like LSx

If they built 5000 units they would sell all of them.
Especially if they were aluminum.
They is already a large following of LT1 Aluminum Cylinder Heads to support the Block.

Not everyone is a LSx fan or want to go the full conversion.

D
Go where the money is. There are less an less LT1 cars on the road everyday, with a significant drop due to cash for clunkers... a "large" following of aluminum cylinder heads is a drop in the bucket compared to the LSx crowd. That, and when stock LSx heads outflow/comparably flow $2000 AFR LTx heads, it goes on and on.
It would take a LONG time to sell 5000 LT aftermarket blocks, and making an aluminum version the right way is not exactly straight forward.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
The problem as I see it isn't the cost to produce, hell, they're cast in China anyway. What would we do for cylinder heads? SB2? Which if I were to change engine design, I would go SB2 100 times over before going Lsx. With that big of a bore, you'd have to move the valves.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
X2 on the self-bet... I hate betting myself... [email protected] never pays up..

I talked with some of the guys that worked on the LT1 (internally GenII small block). A lot BS to get it to what it was, would you believe that vehicle styling caused Opti to happen?

Go where the money is. There are less an less LT1 cars on the road everyday, with a significant drop due to cash for clunkers... a "large" following of aluminum cylinder heads is a drop in the bucket compared to the LSx crowd. That, and when stock LSx heads outflow/comparably flow $2000 AFR LTx heads, it goes on and on.
It would take a LONG time to sell 5000 LT aftermarket blocks, and making an aluminum version the right way is not exactly straight forward.
Yup the l92s flow 350cfm out of the box and their 700 complete (minus the rockers). That's truly unbelieveable.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
The problem as I see it isn't the cost to produce, hell, they're cast in China anyway. What would we do for cylinder heads? SB2? Which if I were to change engine design, I would go SB2 100 times over before going Lsx. With that big of a bore, you'd have to move the valves.
why not go straight to R07? Go for the 4.5" bore spacing.. sorry, just stirring the pot Mike..:)

I still don't understand all the LSx hatin..

beefy 6-bolt main bottom end. Can swing a 4" crank with no mods. Raised (slightly) deckheight.
Factory OEM 15 degree and 12 degree heads. Factory aluminum blocks. Factory heads flowing over 300 cfm stock. Factory valve lifts > 0.550" (LS3, LS7 is over 0.600")....

It's like the guys that worked on the LT1 went and fixed all the things they didn't like about it... wait, that actually happened.

·
Registered
1996 BBB
2,576 Posts
I didn't think it was too good of an idea either. It would have been cool, but I don't think I would have bought one unless I got one for a REALLY good price.

I mean, you can make 500hp streetable with a factory LT1 block VERY easily and VERY cheaply.
You can make over 750hp with a factory LT1 block and forced induction/nitrous VERY easily and VERY cheaply and would also be streetable.

If you have big money to spend on an aftermarket block and you want to make a lot more than those numbers, just go LSX. For the rest of us, bang for the buck is the name of the game and using the factory LT1 block would obtain those results for the cheapest price and least amount of time invested.

I don't buy into the LS hating, I think they are great motors...but I also think some people hype the crap out them and mislead others into thinking that an LS swap is the best option for EVERYONE. There is a lot of misleading info out there.

For those of you knocking Mike H, I am sure he has his reasons. He doesn't have the worlds fastest all motor Impala for nothing! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
You have to figure all the F-body and Y-body crowd are converting there LTX to LSX, it would be a money loser from the get go.

Curious has anyone try sleeving the stock LT1 block to 4.125 bore? Just throwing it out there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.