Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked around in search but didn't see any recent posts on this subject.
I'm back into a B Body after an extended absence. I bought a 96 Black SS. The dash is not cracked but it is faded and mottled. I want to put a dash cover in but wasn't sure what color. I like black since it ties the paint color to the expansive grey dash that is seen through the windshield. Next I thought of the same color as the dash, a medium grey, or a charcoal grey which I assume is a darker color. I'm just grasping for opinions of pics or whatever anyone is willing post. Any help is appreciated. Also, what is a good cover that covers everything well? I'm looking a Covercraft but not particularly partial to any brand, just one that fits great.

Thanks,
Art

Attachments

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
If the pad is not cracked, then there is no reason it can't either be cleaned (or cleaned and painted) to preference. I was going to dye mine, but found it unnecessary with just simple cleaning. One note I would not use 303 again, but hunt for something just as good but a bit more matte for no glare in strong sun. I've gotten covers from CCCC, but only to cover a cracked pad.

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/4-interior/1314454-dash-refurbish-v-paint-dye.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could remove and paint the dash but I would still want a dash mat. So, I'm just looking to cover the dash. Just not sure which color or brand.

Thanks,

Art

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
If the pad is not cracked, then there is no reason it can't either be cleaned (or cleaned and painted) to preference. I was going to dye mine, but found it unnecessary with just simple cleaning. One note I would not use 303 again, but hunt for something just as good but a bit more matte for no glare in strong sun. I've gotten covers from CCCC, but only to cover a cracked pad.

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/4-interior/1314454-dash-refurbish-v-paint-dye.html

25 year old car in Nevada? He needs a cover. Surprised it isn't cracked already.

I use the original Dash Mat on every car in my stable.

Hold up very well, no fading or degradation after 30 years in one case.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Yikes $34 that mat is cheaper than I remember. The car in my write-up is 24 years old from Arizona but point taken. It only shows how gratifying a good clean turns out. OP's ride gots some serious tint which had to help. Best of all worlds sounds like pull and clean off the mottle, paint if compelled, AND get that mat.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
I prefer black as it cuts glare without creating reflections of its own. Forget whether mine is Covercraft,or CaliforniaCarCover...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what color. A automotive enthusiast friend recommended the original Dash Mat brand. I want one that fits good. I think I like black to tie the paint outside to the interior since the dash is so big. Thanks for the replies guys...

Art

1 - 7 of 7 Posts