Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I had to relocate my car to under a cover outside for a few months, but now that I was able to pull it back in the garage it's time to perform some up keep. As stated in the title my dash went from gray to giant splotches of brown. Normal vinyl cleaners have not worked, so I was wondering the best way to get the dash back to gray. There are no cracks or deformations in the dash so I don't want to replace it, but rather just refinish.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Oh, I have a 96 SS.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I re-dyed one with great results. You can use SEM or Duplicolor, most people report better results with SEM, but its probably an issue with preperation work more so than product. The duplicolor grey is supposed to better match the stock color, but the SEM is really close, the dash pads came slightly off color from GM anyway.

If you go that route you need to SCRUB the snot out of the pad and all the little cracks and corners. Use a soft brissled scrubber, a toothbrush, a sponge and a lint free type cloth. Use a degreaser type product like simple green, then dish soap. Handle the pad with rubber gloves, dont dye it outside or your get a bunch of bugs in it. Let it dry really well (several days at warm temps) before dying and use adhesion promoter.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I re-dyed one with great results. You can use SEM or Duplicolor, most people report better results with SEM, but its probably an issue with preperation work more so than product. The duplicolor grey is supposed to better match the stock color, but the SEM is really close, the dash pads came slightly off color from GM anyway.

If you go that route you need to SCRUB the snot out of the pad and all the little cracks and corners. Use a soft brissled scrubber, a toothbrush, a sponge and a lint free type cloth. Use a degreaser type product like simple green, then dish soap. Handle the pad with rubber gloves, dont dye it outside or your get a bunch of bugs in it. Let it dry really well (several days at warm temps) before dying and use adhesion promoter.

great info, heres how i do mine

grey scuff pad with some ajax powder and i scuff the panel well then clean it with dawn soapy water rinse it and dry it very well, then degrease, tac cloth then adhesion promotor then paint several light coats

did my tahoe all in one day and even had it back together same day

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
If you don't want to go the re-paint method try this first. I also had brown splotches on my dash from it sitting too long. I used Simple Green and a soft bristle brush. Then just wipe it down with a damp cloth from clean water. It worked great and looks fine until I decide to take the time to refinish it.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I also had brown splotches on my dash from it sitting too long. I used Simple Green and a soft bristle brush. Then just wipe it down with a damp cloth from clean water. It worked great and looks fine until I decide to take the time to refinish it.
Yup. I use some kind of cleaner from Germany instead of simple green. Comes out looking pretty good

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
once you clean it well as noted before use gel tire dressing and rub it in like your waxing.it will soak it in and look like new when your done. must be gel dressing no armor all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts