Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buddy has a 93 caprice and he wants to swap it to a 94-96 caprice/impala dash. is it possible and any mods have to be done or is it direct bolt it?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Unless your buddies car is in pristine condition, it would probably be much easier and more cost effective to just sell his ride and get a 94/96 car. I imagine the differences between the the LT1 car and TBI car wiring would be a pain in the ass to sort out... I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Unless your buddies car is in pristine condition, it would probably be much easier and more cost effective to just sell his ride and get a 94/96 car. I imagine the differences between the the LT1 car and TBI car wiring would be a pain in the ass to sort out... I could be wrong though.

I couldnt see it being a wiring pain. Its more of a fitiment issue under the dash pad.

From what Ive read they are different.

Its a guy on here with a red and silver(or white) all red interior wagon whos done the complete swap.

He also did do a lt1 swap that would have helped.

Im not sure what he had to do, but he is on this forum.

I cant realy see why it'd be that much different at all. Basically all gm cars used the same wiring design and havent changed dramitcally.

Take a look at what a LT1 dash under the pad looks like, that will be the real problem.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=243177

MRBbody on the forum its a 93

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2243072

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
To make it look right, you would also have to change the front door panels.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The wiring differences are in what goes in and out through the main wiring block in the firewall. The 91-93 cars have the ECM module tucked up under the dash wheras the 94-96 cars have the PCM in the engine compartment which means a lot of rewiring will have to be done, now you could always upgrade the car to the full 94-96 harness, engine, transmission, and other parts from the donor vehicle but that a lot of work and you would basically have to gut the car and the donor car to get the harness out. Plus you have issues with the dash support not bolting up between the years so cutting and welding will have to be done to transfer that over. Not an impossible job but as Goldmaster stated unless the car is in pristine condition its not going to be worth it. - Peter

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
91 to 92 occ or rmw or rm if you want a diff dash that should bolt in

·
Registered
457 Posts
I love most of that guy's interior before he painted it. I never did like that style steering wheel. But for as far the swap, not impossible but, unless you wanna really do the car up, like the guy in the link, is isn't worth it. I'm trying to piece together my '92 caprice sedan, but it gets aggravating with the week plastic and old and dusty stinky parts. Good luck to your friend, tell him to take his time and spend his cash on the good stuff. It's worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts