Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can somebody give me a step by step on how to take the upper part of my dash out of my 96 chevy impala ss.:confused:

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
I guess your odometer ain't workin'......uh?

In any case......I can't help withh the removal because I didn't remove mine.

But if you order this --->> http://impalasuperstore.com/superstore2010/shopexd.asp?id=694 <<--- from the Impala SS Superstore, it probably has the steps of removal/reinstallation.

Best of luck!

KW

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
take the bezel around the cluster and a pillars out lower dash and the passenger piece of the lower dash with the vent all off. youll see about 7 7mm screws. take those out.

it would be smart to take the ground off the battery as you have to pull the dash forward and dont want to risk the air bag opening up. pull forward and lift.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The upper dash assembly does not have to come out to remove or install a stock cluster. Just pull the gauge cluster bezel and the lower dash assembly off and there is more than enough room to pull it out and put it back. If you are upgrading to the Z28 cluster you will probably have to pull the upper dash off though. And to pull it off there is a series of screws along the edge of it and then just work it off gently so you don't break anything under the dash. - Peter

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The upper dash assembly does not have to come out to remove or install a stock cluster. Just pull the gauge cluster bezel and the lower dash assembly off and there is more than enough room to pull it out and put it back. If you are upgrading to the Z28 cluster you will probably have to pull the upper dash off though. And to pull it off there is a series of screws along the edge of it and then just work it off gently so you don't break anything under the dash. - Peter
mmm ive tried this way only to end up tugging and pulling when lifting the upper dash was more convenient but to each his own.

ended up cutting myself before with peter's way you dont want to have to keep struggling to get it in and out just to make sure its working or testing it cuz you'll need the contacts to power it up plusremoving and putting back on the shift cable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts