Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m new to the site .. finally bought my 96 impala n love it ... just wanted to show some people with some time and effort your dashboard can be saved .. I used some auto degreaser and a magic eraser a few times to clean the dash. I lightly rinsed it until last ol the degreaser was gone and I let the dash dry. I then used Sem #38343 Vinyl Prep to clean.. just follow the directions.. but make sure after you wipe the product off you give that time to “flash” dry or the paint will not bond. I the. Used about 3-4 coats of SEM 15393 Medium Gray... it came out great I then let it cure for 24 hours ... my next step will be the SEM 13023 Low Luster Clear... I have not done it yet but I can tell it’s gunna look great! Good luck to u all. And if ur gunna take on this project remember above all the dash MUST be clean before you start .. take your time ... do light coats of paint .. with 10 min between coats ..
2C1A0222-B5CF-4240-B033-B1E3FB79FD4A.jpeg
0047A176-632A-4D9C-9E7F-B2BF2516EC83.jpeg
2C1A0222-B5CF-4240-B033-B1E3FB79FD4A.jpeg

·
Registered
8,493 Posts
Welcome aboard the forum! And good write-up with pertinent SEM numbers and such. Evil minds think alike and I'd done about the same a couple years back with a relatively lo-mile FWB. I was all set with research to go the same full-blown repaint route, but was struck with how well each 'clean repeat clean repeat' was turning out, - especially after using each different cleaner laying around.

It bears repeating what I found is that my 'free' leftover 303 Aerospace is a perfect protectant and still holding up great after 2 years out in the open. But, it's a tad too gloss in just the right sun, so your matte approach = much better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha so I just got done putting on the clear and I have to say it still looks matte .. gunna let it cure and install tomorrow will send pics soon

·
Registered
38 Posts
SEM is the best stuff ever. I just use my local Auto Paint Distributor and give them the manufacturer's code.
Always a perfect match..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts