Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep well im sorta screwed right now

on the way home from my job interview the car started acting funny....then after a stop she would not shift out of 2nd, I parted it, then checked the fluids, fluid smells burnt and is dark reddish brown

so I drove it again, to show my dad what was up and it wouldn't shift outa 1st!!!!

I have no $$ at all, and I was wondering what my options are, the motor leaks oil and i doubt it will make it to 200K

I was thinking to just get rid of it for as much as I can get for it, the motor has 116,xxx the interior is worn, the rear bumper is twisted, other then that is not bad

help?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm... Are you gonna be screwed for transportation? Maybe if your mechanically inclined dropping a junkyard tranny might bring you a few more bucks for the car... I hope you figure something out... I'm sure you an still sell it as is though...

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try the drive train forum, they may have more advice to offer for you, it could be something really simple. Some times fluid can smell burned, but it doesnt mean the tranny is dead.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the money gods have spoken (dad) and he said that he would have a new trans put in

lucky for me I decided to give up on being (on my own) sorta lame but im just going to take the $$ and pay him back as I go

if it needs a new trans or not...its going to the shop sat

I did read about the 4l60E in the drive train section, but I shall post there as well

again you guys are the greatest

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Technically you don't have a 4L60E, you have the older non "electronic" version. Still very similar in overall design, though. And with the burnt smell and bad looking fluid, I'd say the current is toast--did you ever have other symptoms or check the fluid beforehand?

If the rest of the car, engine included, is still very strong and will clearly last, it'll be worth it. Otherwise, I'd consider another move, as a tranny isn't the cheapest thing.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd sweat bullets with a local chain rebuild. I hear nothing but grief on the high number of returns, the mountain of arguing on warranty, and you're still out $14-1,800 or so. A junkyard swap done yourself seems the best overall value, but if you don't have the time/tools/space for that, and your dad is willing to throw money at it, ok too. JMHO

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are several low mileage trannys in the classifieds. Check those out before you spend over $1K!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whew...after reading the headline, I thought you had run over a transexual!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My tranny started acting real bad a few months back, I just used some lucas trans stop slip and it fixed it for now. Im putting my cpt level 2 in next friday. Make sure you flush your tranny cooler out when you find your "new" tranny. I think 93's had a tranny cooler? good luck man!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by HotRodSaint:
Whew...after reading the headline, I thought you had run over a transexual!
I spit up my mountain dew when I saw this LOL!!

I dont have the tools nor the space to do a swap myself, I have the know how and a few mechanic buddys but I think im just going to have one put in

if this isnt a 4l60e then what is it?

thanks for the help fellas

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before I changed the fluid in a Saturn it looked and smelled burned, the tranny was fine. Id try to get a 2nd opinion before you spend the money on it.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by 2-B1G-w00ds:
Before I changed the fluid in a Saturn it looked and smelled burned, the tranny was fine. Id try to get a 2nd opinion before you spend the money on it.
That can be true, and at that point, it's either time for an immediate change, or a sign that it's gotten to the "blow" level, in one way or another.

But given that he has no gears to move in AND the fluid was awful, something bad is likely going on.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Johnny

First of all, you have a very good father.

Secondly, you said the engine leaks oil, interior is worn and the bumper is twisted. I'm not sure that it is a good idea to put anywhere from $700 to $1400 into this car. I think it might be time to move onto something else. You could probably part it out or sell it as is. I'll betcha your father would probably help you get into another car, I think that is the direction to go.

Good luck

Tom C.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would agree with Tom.

Why bother putting a new tranny into something that is messed up anyway, and you arent to thouroughly invested financially and emotionaly yet.

You could sell it, and take your dads tranny money, and could definatly afford something thatll run well.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes the idea came and went...
I am in between jobs, so I have no $$ or credit look into getting somthing els, and to be honest I wont find anything worth it for 1700, This car my dad bought for me, and I will not have him buy me anouther, I come from some $ in my family but its not mine, I didnt earn it.

since we got the car we put alot of $ into it already, and the oil leak is not that bad, but again its up to dad, his money so ill just let him do the deciding

but who knows what will happen, I just want a FW RM or Caprice with an LT1 that will run for a while...anyone got one near NH for around 2k? :D

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Too bad this wasnt a month ago or u coulda go bills flatwudy, or two months ago u coulda got his caddilac.

I guess just wait a month and hell have somethin for ya.

I always see cars around here in that price range. Just keep your eyes out

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My son has a 100k mi. 9C1 but he wants 3k (selling against my advice).

He also has a 4L60 from a '90 Camaro. Unknown condition 'cause the car wasn't running when he got it but the fluid was very clean. I'm sure something very reasonable could be worked out but you would have to assume the risk of installation and compatibility.

Send me PM or email if you're interested.

I have seen some other cheap Camaro trannys on Craig's List.

[ 02-25-2007, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: boojum ]

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok the verdict from dad

He is gonna go ahead with a rebuild of my transmission for 1200, I tryed to get him on the get another car band wagon but he said that another car comes with another set of problems, like the 134K 94 9C1 i found in Portsmouth NH for $1800, I agree with him in that. since my car has new brakes, radiator, tires, and exhaust system.

thanks for the insight fellas

by the way, since i fried my tunner box that is in the trunk, does anyone have a spare one i can buy?
I been without a radio and such for a while.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
local rebuild?

For 1,200, I bet you can find a prebuilt 700r4 that will likely last longer... I bet CPT could help ya.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts