Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Impala SS 47 yes 47 original miles. I am thinking of running a clean exhaust, something bolt on and well known that's a peoples choice. Any advice on the best set up? Price is not a factor just want the best clean set up. Thanks

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
You have a perfectly good low mile system now. Why change it. Car's only original once...

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
NO. Let me explain. NO. 1.) Do not; I repeat do not do anything to a 20+-year old claptrap Chevy Caprice with fewer miles than it takes to usually deliver and offload from the transport it new, except drive it and of course attend to all manner of periodic programmed maintenance parts replacements as scheduled or indicated.

2.) I have to hope at least 100% of other owners here will agree your wisest tack is to buy another dirtbox POS tri-9 B-/D- and throw all the garish bolt-ons you can imagine and make some sort of obnoxious loud gnarly impressive rat-rod wanna-be to impress IDK. But leave it 'pure and unsoiled', and in a short 30 year or so your next of kin or next buyer will reward your prudence handsomely. JIMHO

3.) of course if you discover you're victim of some great new hack that rolls back the miles swapping in a new Chinese darkweb cluster then go 'head and pour in $20k with new stuff that morphs your unicorn classic into an 11-second boring sleepfest.

I'm soorrrry was all that out loud?

Oh BTW with 2 posts you must have an introductory post hiding somewhere, so WELCOME! Permission to board.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have a perfectly good low mile system now. Why change it. Car's only original once...
yes I know, thats really true I've been saying ill wait till it gets older but I the rate that I use it, it won't get old haha. but you have a great point thanks bro

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NO. Let me explain. NO. 1.) Do not; I repeat do not do anything to a 20+-year old claptrap Chevy Caprice with fewer miles than it takes to usually deliver and offload from the transport it new, except drive it and of course attend to all manner of periodic programmed maintenance parts replacements as scheduled or indicated.

2.) I have to hope at least 100% of other owners here will agree your wisest tack is to buy another dirtbox POS tri-9 B-/D- and throw all the garish bolt-ons you can imagine and make some sort of obnoxious loud gnarly impressive rat-rod wanna-be to impress IDK. But leave it 'pure and unsoiled', and in a short 30 year or so your next of kin or next buyer will reward your prudence handsomely. JIMHO

3.) of course if you discover you're victim of some great new hack that rolls back the miles swapping in a new Chinese darkweb cluster then go 'head and pour in $20k with new stuff that morphs your unicorn classic into an 11-second boring sleepfest.

I'm soorrrry was all that out loud?

Oh BTW with 2 posts you must have an introductory post hiding somewhere, so WELCOME! Permission to board.
thanks you make several great points and I can agree with you. You are probably right it may not be the best thing to change the original things just yet.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
our stock exhaust systems are very easy to take off without damaging them, especially when removing from a low mile stocker. On a car like yours,I like the Borla cat back system.Runs stock diameter pipes and is a nice upgrade without sounding to loud.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I will take a look at the Borla setups too.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Thanks! I will take a look at the Borla setups too.
Agree on the Borla. It's probably the most well known. Probably been around the longest at this point. Fit and finish is great and it looks good.

It's not like you're doing anything that can't be undone. Keep the stock exhaust and you can unbolt and go back to stock easily.

Have you owned the car since new?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Guys, you all know only too well one innocent little mod is just the first step to the dark side. A little $1,225 Borla here, and then of course an $800 SSRI there.... And well of course WTH is that without some honkin' injectors. Oop now we're doing a new pump. And well springs and rockers... to go with $1,600 tri-Y's. But all that will need bars (plus LCAs) and shocks to get it to the ground. I could go on, but we all know the drill.

I'd maybe go with an upholstered centerrest cover, but put a 1st Aid kit in the truck and call it done. Tooling around in a "100% cherry boxstock" trumps the next $10,000 thrown at it. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Guys, you all know only too well one innocent little mod is just the first step to the dark side. A little $1,225 Borla here, and then of course an $800 SSRI there.... And well of course WTH is that without some honkin' injectors. Oop now we're doing a new pump. And well springs and rockers... to go with $1,600 tri-Y's. But all that will need bars (plus LCAs) and shocks to get it to the ground. I could go on, but we all know the drill.

I'd maybe go with an upholstered centerrest cover, but put a 1st Aid kit in the truck and call it done. Tooling around in a "100% cherry boxstock" trumps the next $10,000 thrown at it. IMHO.

Considering he's managed to average less than a half mile per year since new, I'd say he's got a pretty good amount of restraint.

Although...I do feel bad that it sounds like that poor car has spent 2 decades doing a lot of idling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree on the Borla. It's probably the most well known. Probably been around the longest at this point. Fit and finish is great and it looks good.

It's not like you're doing anything that can't be undone. Keep the stock exhaust and you can unbolt and go back to stock easily.

Thanks for the suggestion! And to answer your question no I am second owner first owner purchased it with 20 miles on it and I’ve had it since the rest of miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do whatever you want to it. It's YOUR car.
ALL cars no matter how mint they are today are going to end up crushed, shredded and made into another item
at some point in the future, so treating it like royalty is silly to me.

It could be wrecked by some jackA$$ tomorrow so enjoy it today.

Nab

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You're in the exhaust forum, I totally get it, you're interested in an exhaust system. IMHO best thing you can do for your exhaust is mixnmatch your own frankenstein catback exhaust with 2.50" or 2.25" mandrel bent pipes, mufflers of your choice, (add resonators of your choice ONLY if you experience drone or want to quiet the system down), & 2.50" or 2.25" tailpipes.

That said, your money would be better spent on a pcm reprogram. The transmission shifts like your mom is experiencing motion sickness next to you. After reprogramming, it'll behave more like it's ready to rob a bank. Long story short, a pcm reprogram is more fun than a catback exhaust, especially when you factor in costs.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Valid point, especially for being in the Exhaust section ;) I would never badmouth the Borla, even though I heard a system in '99 and thought to myself, "too dam expensive and too dam quiet". lol After lots of searching here I chose my sig frankenstein setup I just installed on my current FWB, and now have two new Flow Super 50's as spares for something. And based on the faintest drone on level grade at 1,900revs/76mph during an 1,100 mile trip last week I'm ordering these as resonators. Nice to know Jones makes other than blank ends on some glasspaks:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Valid point, especially for being in the Exhaust section ;) I would never badmouth the Borla, even though I heard a system in '99 and thought to myself, "too dam expensive and too dam quiet". lol After lots of searching here I chose my sig frankenstein setup I just installed on my current FWB, and now have two new Flow Super 50's as spares for something. And based on the faintest drone on level grade at 1,900revs/76mph during an 1,100 mile trip last week I'm ordering these as resonators. Nice to know Jones makes other than blank ends on some glasspaks:
I always felt it was too quiet too. From inside the car atleast. But it did sound great watching it go down the road with someone else driving. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pypes also makes a complete stainless steel 2.5" exhaust for Impala:

Nab

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Im the second owner, first owner registered it with 19 miles and had it stored climate controlled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 1996 Impala SS 47 yes 47 original miles. I am thinking of running a clean exhaust, something bolt on and well known that's a peoples choice. Any advice on the best set up? Price is not a factor just want the best clean set up. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see most everyone saying to keep it stock, but I will bet the exhaust has seen enough condensation to have a fair amount of internal rust. If not, yours is the first to have no condensation. I have friends that have seen rust on new exhaust systems just sitting in a climate controlled garage. If you want to do an exhaust system, remove the stock system (bet you will see the rust) store it, and call Dan at Clear Image Automotive and get the best stainless steel exhaust for an Impala SS on the market. Price is high, but everything FITS!! Get the tri-y headers and cats too if you want to really see a performance increase. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
As the oem exhaust system is all stainless I am not aware to what extent any internal corrosion would cause issues. The only detracting factor for leaving stock exhaust installed is the bends were made without mandrel, together with severe flattening at crossmember, all degrading what would otherwise be a respectable 2 1/4" setup. Which is more than adequate design for proper scavenging of a stock or near stock engine. Also, stock came without an H- or X-pipe, either one adding direct benefits to torque and/or hp.

Pluses of stock system are that it is fully depreciated and 'free' by now, and even better value on top of that by not compelling subsequent (and then perpetual 'subsequenter') other modifications once a new system gets installed. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts