Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of adding a deep 4L60E pan to my car to help with the cooling of the new 3000 stall 10" converter. i can get a genuin gm one for about 25 bucks and am wondering how low does it hang and will i have clearance issues on my car being as though its lowered 1"? anyone with a lowered car used a deep pan and can answer this?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I put a Trickflow deep pan on just a few miles ago. I have Hotchkis lowering springs and run a 40 series tire. So yes it is low. I really have to watch where I drive. I would guess its 3-4" off the ground.

BTW its a 2 qt. more deep pan

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could also get the tranny cooler and lines from a 9C1 which would help a great deal, I have a trans cooler that I may part with if you are interested you would just have to get the lines or tie into your old ones pretty simple.
well i have a cooler already from a 9c1 but i was just wondering if the deep pan would fit because i just bought it and havent installed it yet.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah that is cool, I am sure that it would, pretty open underneath there for something like that.
hey if u can, are you able to show pics of a 9c1 cooler added to the impala? also, pm me and tell me how much you will let the lines go for. i have some lines with mines but they look identical to the lines that i have on the car now and i have no clue as to how to mount this extra cooler. its the exact same one from factory. got pics of how its added?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I can see man, I don't have the lines, just the cooler, I would take a pic of it on my car but it would just show how it is mounted as it is used for a power steering cooler now on my T56 car, my Roady doesn't have one on it. Let me know if you need to see the mounting of it and I can take a pic for you.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can see man, I don't have the lines, just the cooler, I would take a pic of it on my car but it would just show how it is mounted as it is used for a power steering cooler now on my T56 car, my Roady doesn't have one on it. Let me know if you need to see the mounting of it and I can take a pic for you.
yeah definitely if its the gm factory one i would love to see how you mounted it because thats the biggest issue im having right now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have/am using the Derale pan even though it costs more than a stock pan it gives more volume and has a drain plug and seems to do the trick just fine helping with cooling as stated.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Do any of you have a tranny temp gauge? Do you know if you even need a cooler? There is a point at which you can cool things off too much and do more harm than good. These are lock-up converter's , no heat build-up when locked-up, unlike the old school TC's.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have Summit's cast aluminum deep pan on my wagon. It hangs low but not dangerously...I wouldn't go flying over any big speed bumps with it, but I don't worry about it day to day.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
My Summit pan holds approx 3 qts extra and I'm lowered on Hotchkis springs, I have scraped it on steep driveways before, fine on the road though. I also have a trans temp gauge and it stays under 200* even taking it down the strip a few times. Heat kills trannys, I don't think it's gonna be too cool while driving.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do any of you have a tranny temp gauge? Do you know if you even need a cooler? There is a point at which you can cool things off too much and do more harm than good. These are lock-up converter's , no heat build-up when locked-up, unlike the old school TC's.
No don't have either of those just figured it would be a good idea since im going to a 10" 3000 stall converter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts