Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a lot of discussion about the Del-A-Lum bushings available in the control arms from Global West.

Where does Global West get these bushings? What I mean is, who is the manufacturer of these bushings? Are they a standard industrial part adapted for use in this application?

I've seen advertisements for similar bushings for a wide range of cars from Ford Mustangs, to BMW 2002's, to Pontiac Fiero's. I can't believe that every one of these performance parts suppliers is manufacturing their own bushings.

So, does anyone know of a source?

-- Dan
'95 9C1

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I understand Delrin is super easy to machine so anyone with a lathe can spin out what you need if its round

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I concure; Delrin is very easy to machine. I made some suspension bushings for a car several years ago. Could no longer get them so had to make them. :D But it is fairly soft. Another material that is stronger is polypropalene (check spelling) and still easy to machine.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It'd behoove people to goto Global West's website and check out these bushings......as they are NOT simply a "delrin bushing".

GW might be getting the Delrin part from somewhere else, but I'd bet they are doing the bushings either in-house or on an exclusive contract somewhere....

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't see anything that said they are made in the USA. I could be wrong, but if not, I'd imagine they have a foreign supplier make everything, but GW holds the patents. Just a guess...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. The reply about having them made under contract makes sense.

The questions stems from my days of owning a 1970 Lotus. Colin Chapman (founder of Lotus) was famous for using parts already used in other automotive or industrial production. The Lotus club newsletter was always filled with cross reference lists showing the original source for parts. I remember buying an industrial bearing for the shifter linkage ($7) vs. a $60 part from the Lotus dealer. (And it was the same part -- identical).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts