Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 caprice and want to add a factory delco CD player. They come with a dark gray or black face and came in a variety of GM models. The only black ones I found have a small fan on the back of the unit. Has anyone installed one with this fan and were there any clearance issues? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
fan

I assume your car did not have a factory radio when purchased? Stock radios for our cars did not have fans. Later they included the fan and although the harness connects fine, the fan will hit the back side of the dash.
I've heard people remove the fan or make a hole in the plastic/dash to acommodate the fan. cwm1

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume your car did not have a factory radio when purchased? Stock radios for our cars did not have fans. Later they included the fan and although the harness connects fine, the fan will hit the back side of the dash.
I've heard people remove the fan or make a hole in the plastic/dash to acommodate the fan. cwm1
My car just has the am/fm radio. Thanks for telling me the fan will hit the back side of the dash. That is the info I was looking for! I'll pull the stock radio out to see how much I need to cut out to fit it. I didn't want to buy one on ebay and then not be able to make it fit.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The ones with the fans fit with very little work. Just a small trim of plastic at the rear is all that is needed. I went with the monsoon series of the Delco radio. From the outside, except for the word Monsoon, it loooks stock, but the power and reception is much better than stock.
Here is a picture of mine.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Cut the piss out the internal part of the dash.

My aftermarket radio has a fan, an a external box that holds something no issues, (mainly because I notched the dash)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a list of what gm cd players will interchange?
Not that I know of. One tip: make sure the radio is not from a silverado, tahoe, suburban, maybe some others. They look the same, but do not have the ears on the side to bolt the radio in place.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not that I know of. One tip: make sure the radio is not from a silverado, tahoe, suburban, maybe some others. They look the same, but do not have the ears on the side to bolt the radio in place.
IIRC astro vans wont work either.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i just installed one w/ a fan and didn't have to cut anything. I had no issues at all.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I installed the radio with the fan in both my '95 and '93 9C1's. The '95 was no issues and no cutting. I found that the '93 has a plastic tray on the bottom of the radio for a mount and doesn't use the tabs on the sides at all. I attached the bottom tray to the new radio with the screw lug that sticks out the back and it worked fine.

I got two of the fan radios off EBay that have the IPod (MP3) plug installed next to the power/volume knob.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi The Tech,

How have those Delco Radios with iPod/MP3 plug installed worked for you so far...I'm just about to buy one myself as my stock radio crapped out, and was curious if the sound was good when you have your iPod/iPhone hooked up to it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
378 Posts
They both work great with the IPod. One of the cables that connect to the headphone jack in the IPod does not make a good connection, which took me a while to figure out. I just use the same cable in both cars now since I can only drive one at a time anyway...problem solved.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
FYI: I have a stock CD player for sale now. Works perfectly, just replaced it with a 7" touch screen . . .

·
Registered
118 Posts
IIRC astro vans wont work either.
I scrapped a Mercury Sable last week. In the trunk was a GM radio with CD player. It is slightly taller that the radio in my 95 Caprice. It has the mounting ears on each side, no fan and a heat sink on the left side. It has a build date of October 16, 1996.

HOPEFULLY, it is not one of the above that wont work! I would give about anything to have a CD player, as my current system's cassette doesnt work, so I cant even use my CD adapter!

What's the best way to find out? Take the old unit out, try to plug in the new one and see if it works? What about the Theftlock? I dont have an owners manual to look up the code.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I scrapped a Mercury Sable last week. In the trunk was a GM radio with CD player. It is slightly taller that the radio in my 95 Caprice. It has the mounting ears on each side, no fan and a heat sink on the left side. It has a build date of October 16, 1996.

HOPEFULLY, it is not one of the above that wont work! I would give about anything to have a CD player, as my current system's cassette doesnt work, so I cant even use my CD adapter!

What's the best way to find out? Take the old unit out, try to plug in the new one and see if it works? What about the Theftlock? I dont have an owners manual to look up the code.
After searching some owner's manuals, I figured out this radio is from a '97 Buick Century. I also read about the Theftlock code. Am I going to have to pay a stealership to get the lock code opened?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts