Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do it with the 95SS and got a check engine light(using the method in the TSB for it). Someone said to try and leave the relay in and just unplug at the pump. Question is how exactly do I go about doing it that route ?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by 91wag95ss:
I tried to do it with the 95SS and got a check engine light(using the method in the TSB for it). Someone said to try and leave the relay in and just unplug at the pump. Question is how exactly do I go about doing it that route ?
Well unless I am missing the question, you answered it your self.
The 95 only "looks" for the resistance of the relay. So if you leave it in the fuse box the PCM will not know you have removed the rest of the components
Gerry

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I'm trying to get across is how do I physically "unplug it" at the pump, meaning I need the procedure(s) to do it. How exactlly do I do it? Step step by step.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is an electrical connector that plugs into the AIR pump. A small latch on the side of the connector has to be raised up (Or maybe pushed down or sideways - I generally do these kinds of things by braille because one often can't see where they are anyway. My air pumps are gone, so I can't go to the car and look.) to release the connector - then pull the connector out. Tape the connector to the larger harness that it comes out of. Tape it well enough to keep splashing water out.
Job is done.
If you really want to be slick you can now look at your underhood light. If it is off go to the underhood fuse box (passenger side rear of the engine compartment - at fender level - a black plastic box about 4 inches by 4 inches), lift the cover and look at the diagram under the cover. Find the AIR fuse on the diagram - locate the fuse on the panel and replace it (25 amps, I think, but you won't need one that large any longer). Now your underhood light will work.
Sorry this is not exactly “step, step by step” - I don’t write these things for a living - and now you know why I don’t.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just took my air pump off today. and i also got a cel, i'm going out now to put the fuse back in. the only way to get to the electrical conector on the air pump is to first take it off and flip it over and unplug it from the harness. at least that's how it worked for me. just came back and the cel is gone.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, I'll fiddle around under the hood next free time I get.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got under the hood today and unplugged the pump and took it around the block to see if the check engine light would come on and it did'nt. Also replugged the tube leading from the air box.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After driving it today she seems more responsive under throttle now, unleSS it's just in my head ? Next I gotta clean out the throttle body and do the TB bypass.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Reviving an old thread.
I want to delete that pump and the associated plumbing. Is that black metal mushroom-shaped piece a check valve? What if instead of removing that stubborn nut and plugging up the opening in the exhaust manifold
Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 01.00.17.png
, I just disconnect the hose attached to the check valve (I assume it is one)? I do not mind to leave that part of plumbing attached to the exhaust manifold. Thanks!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The check vale is a part that fails and then allows exhaust gas into the air pump. with the air pump removed allows exhaust under the hood and makes noise. the correct size wrenches and sometime heat will make the fitting come loose.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Yes, much less grief in the long run just slice the tube off and get a box or socket on it. I just use combo of PB Blaster - heat - and hit on it a few times to shake the rust loose. There's two different size threaded caps to use - depending on year. either is easy to find.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Thank you, gentlemen! Mine is 1995 (the picture is not for 1995), so I will need a M22x1.5 PLUG not a cap. Oil drain plug should work, but as a temporary solution I will probably use that rusty nut over a nickel. Should work. Will report back.
On a side note, would not that exhaust leaking into the air box confuse oxygen sensors and affect drivability?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
When the exhaust (and condensation) goes the wrong way past the failed check valve, it's the MAF sensor that gets confused.
GM TSB #01-06-04-011: said:
Under high engine speed and load conditions, hot exhaust gasses may leak past the air check valves. As the exhaust gasses in the air tube cool, water vapors collect into the AIR pump. As the vehicle is driven, condensation from the AIR pump may come into contact with the Mass Airflow Sensor through the AIR inlet hose. This condition may cause a hesitation on acceleration and may also set the DTCs.

Remove the AIR hose and clamp from the air cleaner box. Insert the plug (12569122) into the air cleaner box AIR hose inlet. Install the AIR hose and clamp to the air cleaner box.
Yes, the plug that protects the MAF sensor from the AIRpump has a frakken part number.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Marky Dissod,
Thanks for the info! Replacing the water pump is a good time to get rid of the useless/failed AIR system.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
EVERY LT1's AIRpump should be disabled. If your state allows AIRpump removal, remove it and sell it to some unfortunate soul in Kalephonya who might need it to comply with … unintelligent emissions laws which acknowledge its disablement yet enforce its vestigial presence.
(Imagine being forced to keep your appendix installed!)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
EVERY LT1's AIRpump should be disabled. If your state allows AIRpump removal, remove it and sell it to some unfortunate soul in Kalephonya who might need it to comply with … unintelligent emissions laws which acknowledge its disablement yet enforce its vestigial presence.
Hahaha! My pump blows the fuse, so it is useless. Fortunately, my state does not care of emissions for old cars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the joys of bureaucracy, there's a reason hell is 'lawful' ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts